Chapter 13 | Start Over

Edit: I'm a little bit on the tipsy side... so if there's grammar mistakes toward the end that could've obviously been avoided... I'm sorry lmao.
***

Let's start over
We both know that this love won't die
Maybe we can start all over
And give love another life

Semaj's POV

Just like when we drove to the hospital, the ride back to the hotel was quiet, but this time I didn't fault Michael for his silence or try to pressure him to talk. I also didn't allow the negative thoughts to penetrate my mind and make me think that his silence had more to do with me than the beginning process of his grief. I just did what I'd want him to do for me if I'd lost one of my parents and that was just be there.

Once we were inside our hotel room Michael headed straight for the shower and I took a seat on the couch in the living room. It was there that I finally allowed myself to feel the loss of Joseph and Michael's pain. I didn't want to cry in front of him afraid that he would cry again too, and my heart just couldn't take it, so I held it in until I was finally alone. I hadn't known Joseph for long, but it was easy to notice the impact he'd had on Michael's life once Michael finally let him in.

And I prayed for my husband. Prayed that God would ease his heart and allow him to work through his emotions rationally.

And to lose someone you had just started to love... I remembered that feeling all too well. Now, not only had Michael experienced that feeling once, but twice, and with his own daughter and father. It made me feel worse about my decision for the abortion and if only Michael knew how desperate I was right now, wanting to erase that mistake and make it right.

He didn't deserve my betrayal or the hurt I caused him.

He deserved better.

He'd been through enough in his life and I'd let my own selfishness and unsolved problems with Summer get in the way of making sure he experienced true happiness in his life. But as I sat on the couch I vowed to not let it happen again. That I would try my hardest to overcome the problems I had yet to solve within myself, so that I didn't hurt Michael again.

My phone vibrated against my stomach, so I reached in the front pocket of my hoodie to see LaToya's name popping up on the screen. The shower to the bathroom in Michael's room was already running, so I answered, standing up from my seat and going in my room to grab my credit card (since I only took my license with me to the hospital), so I could go down to the front desk.

"Hey Toya," I said, quieter than I'd intended as I used my hand to wipe at my face.

"Hey," she replied somberly. "I just called to see if you guys made it back to the hotel."

"Yeah," I swiped the room key off the small four-seat table and left out of the room. "We got here a little under ten minutes ago. Are you all home?"

"Just got in. I'm gonna stay at Mother's until... well I don't know. You know, however long."

"Yeah" I nodded, walking down the hallway toward the elevator. "That's understandable."

"How is Michael holding up?"

I took a deep breath as I made it to the elevators and pressed the down button. "It hit him... hard. But I expected that I just wish there was something more that I could do to help him. To help all of you actually. My heart just feels..." I shook my head. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm..." She paused then she said, "I'm holding."

I'd long stepped on the elevator and pressed the button to the first floor, watching the numbers decline as I moved from floor to floor. "That's better than nothing, but don't be afraid to call me if you need me 'Toya. And I mean that. Don't hesitate."