Chapter 19

Aflaah's POV

"Aflaah! Go get the car key from my room now!" Dad called out from the corridor,sorrow evident in his voice.
     Innalillahi Wa Inna Ilaihi Raji'un! Let all be well Ya Rahman.
I quickly got the keys,my Hijaab and went outside after locking the doors. I reached the car and dad drove off,I sat on the passenger seat and Maa was laid down at the back seat. She was unconscious.I kept reciting any du'aa that came to my mind.

Ya rabb please let Maa not die. I don't know how I will actually live without her in my life. Grant her quick Shifa Ya Allah.

We reached the hospital in 15 minutes but it literally felt like 1 hour. I was having all sorts of weird thoughts on my mind and Dad was anything but calm,he drove so fast thank goodness we didn't get into an accident.

After all the formalities,Maa was wheeled into the emergency room. I was breaking on the inside but I didn't let that stop me from trying to calm Dad. He couldn't even seat down,he kept pacing around the waiting room.

"Abbaa" I called out and he just turned around but made no attempt to talk.
I stood up and went to where he was standing and pleaded with him to get seated,he almost refused saying he was okay standing but I wouldn't hear any of it. After much persuasion,he finally agreed to seat.

"Abba,all she needs is our prayers. You shouldn't freak out like that,she wouldn't be happy to hear that. She will surely be fine In Shaa Allah,very soon that too. Let's keep praying for her okay?" I said surprised at how calm I sounded.He squeezed my hand and nodded.

"We were in the middle of a happy conversation when she said she was feeling dizzy,I thought she was joking. But before I knew it,she couldn't sit upright. She fell down completely unconscious. Ya Allaa--aahhh!"And he couldn't say anything again,I saw it in his eyes he was trying with all might not to break down in front of me.

"Say no more Abba,Just continue praying for her wellbeing."I said and then the tears came. I just couldn't control the tears so I let it drop and Abba held my hands in a reassuring manner.

After about 30 minutes,I saw one of the doctors came out. He finally spotted us and walked up to us.
"Can you please follow me to my office Alhaji?"He sounded urgent.
I didn't even realize that Abba was standing already till when I did too.
"Aflaah,won't you stay here and wait for me?"Abba said with distress evident in his voice.
"No Abba,please let me. She's my mother I need to hear all he needs to tell you about her. Pleeeeaaaseee"I begged pouting.
"Okay fine! Let's go."He stretched out his hand and I held it.

We walked hand in hand to the doctor's office. I couldn't seat but I made sure Abba did. The doctor was scribbling some note when we entered. He put the pen down and looked up to us.
"Alhaji,should I explain everything with her here?"He stressed on the 'her' and I knew it was directed at me.
"Mister,please do. I'm her daughter for Allah's sake!"I said getting irritated with the way he referred to me as 'her'.
"Okay then,Hajiya's in a stable condition now under the control machines.She just needs some rest,but her blood pressure is very high around 190/90 so as her diabetes. She needs to watch her diet.From the looks of it she eats almost everything. You can go see her now,but please she needs no disturbances."He said and looked towards me shaking his head in a pitiful way because of the way I was crying.

Poor Maa! This is too much for her. Astaghfirullah! I shouldn't think like that but I couldn't help.

I was so lost in thought that I didn't hear Abba saying we should leave. I was just following him like a lost puppet then I found us in a room with Maa laying down almost lifeless with machines everywhere around her. I sobbed really hard when I saw her.