Chapter 1

"Heads up!"

See, when I hear 'heads up', I think 'look up' or 'pay attention', certainly not 'duck out of the way, there's an earth sized football hurtling your way!'

So, of course, that earth sized football hits me square between the eyes.

"Shit," I curse as I'm knocked to the ground, legs sprawled, dignity in literal shreds.

"Oh, sorry!" someone chortles, probably the one that threw the football, in obvious amusement.

"God, school seems so trivial on these days," I mutter, dusting myself off. I check my watch. Damn. Three minutes left until class starts.

I want to check the extent of the damage in the bathroom, but with a measly three minutes, there isn't enough time.

                 __________________________________________________________

"So, can anyone tell me what they know about migrants?"

I roll my eyes. Thanks to my class of buffoons, with an average IQ of literally ten, we've been reviewing the basics since the beginning of school. Four months ago.

I raise my hand in annoyance; obviously none of these slack-jawed, drooling, idiot children would know anything of the sort.

"Yes, Hyungwon?" Mr. Blanche asks, eyebrows raised.

"Migrants are people that move across border lines, often illegally, for any reason, but normally because of unrest or fighting in their home country." I answer.

I know I sound like a know-it-all, and if I'm being honest, I am a know-it-all. What else is there to be at this school, other than a slut or a cheerleader or an emo or a jock?

It's not like anyone really pays attention anyways in high school - whether it is senior year or not. Everyone says they do, writing HAGS in school yearbooks and starting drama over boys they don't even like that much... but really, no one cares.

I can't wait for college. College is so much more open. A migrant, full-blooded Korean with a slight accent over his English like myself wouldn't be given a second glance in college.

That's why I can't wait to get out of this dump. So I can go to a place where my opinions really matter. Where I can start to do what I really want to do without judgement from high schoolers who whisper petty secrets behind cupped hands up to ears. The second I get out of this place, the second my life will really begin.

                     __________________________________________________________

Finally, the day is over. I make my way determinedly out of the front doors to the front of the school where the parent pick up pavilion resides. My friend Minhyuk is supposed to give me a ride so we could hang out at his house with a couple of friends after school, but he's late. As usual. I shake my head, but smile a bit at the thought of him. Frivolous and a happy virus, he has the ability to brighten the school days that seem to drag into the pits of hell.

As I'm waiting, I notice the school photographer, Wonho, snapping pictures with his camera.

Wonho... everyone has heard of him. His position as the school's enigma is well-known and common topic for gossip. Gloriously hot, and I guess constantly unavailable, the rumor is that he's gay, but I don't buy into that. Does a guy really have to be gay to not be into the girls at our school? I think not. I feel the same way. Well, you know girls. They've gotta make up something to soften the blow of rejection.

Plus, he's constantly traveling. I guess his dad is some hotshot label head CEO or something in Korea, and he has lots of dough to spoil his only son. In fact, anytime Wonho wants a culture trip, the rumor is that the weeks at school where he's gone, he's traveling the globe taking pictures with his dad's money.