Chapter 5

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Come on, Hyungwon, you're being ridiculously immature. If he liked you, which he doesn't, so relax, it's -

Knock, knock.

"Open the door! I have to shit!" I hear an angry Minhyuk outside the door. 

Minhyuk. Jesus. Why is he always around?

"Let me in, Hyungwon." His voice grows a little softer, but it is still annoying to me nonetheless. 

I sigh. While I'd really like to be alone to think about what a fool I am, everyone on the plane probably heard that, and it would look even weirder to Wonho if I didn't let Minhyuk in, like I'm crying in here like an idiot or something.

I sigh again, unlocking the door and opening it a crack.

Minhyuk wastes no time, and shoves the door open wider, racing in.

I huff in surprise as he pushs up against me in the limited space of the small airplane bathroom, locking the door behind him. 

Our conversation, uttered in low whispers, goes something like this:

"What are you doing in here?"

"Nothing."

"Well, you seemed a little strange earlier."

"I'm fine."

"Are you sure it had nothing to do with Wonho?"

"Yes. It's all me."

"What did you do so wrong?"

"I'm childish."

"I've been telling you that for years. Why do you believe it now all of a sudden?"

"Because my heart is fluttering like a middle school girl when he really did nothing to merit it, and I've only known him for a few days, only talking to him in passing before that."

"Well, I still say that you should go back out there."

"Of course you would say that."

"That doesn't make it any less true."

"I know. I should."

"So, why haven't you yet?"

"I don't know. I don't want to make a fool of myself."

"Don't you think you've already done that?"

"I suppose."

"Hyungwon, you ran away like a 2 year old."

"Ah.. yes. I did."

"You should go out there and maintain some semblance of friendship. This is a two week, all expenses paid trip."

"I feel like I'm using him. I'll take his money, but then after the trip I'll avoid him because he makes me uncomfortable? It's so fake."

"It's not like he isn't used to it, though."

"That's the sad part. People always do stuff like this to him. I don't want to be one of the people he remembers that treats him that way. Not when he doesn't deserve it."

"Then it makes no sense why you're still in here."

"I don't know either, really."

"You seem more conflicted about what you want to be to him than anything else."

"Which makes me the most stupid person on the planet. Because he's straight. I shouldn't be allowed to do that."

"Hyungwon. Please. Just go out there. He's probably beating himself up wondering what he dis so wrong to upset you so much."

"But he did upset me-"

"That's your own fault for having a crush on him."

"Don't say that. I do not have a crush on him."

"Anyone with a brain could see that you obviously do. I don't know exactly what he did to soften your heart of stone and ice in a few days, but whatever it is, you're definitely smitten with it. Enough to go through all of these dramatics."

"I don't like him, Minhyuk. Not everyone is guy obsessed like you."

"Then prove it. Go out there and act like nothing is wrong. Or not pretend. If you don't like him, then nothing should be wrong at all."

"Now you're just baiting me."

"And you're just being a chicken. It's not like you'd go out any other way."

"Yes, I would have! I'll go do it right now!"

"Okay. Go on."

"I will do it."

"Then why are you still standing here?"

"I'm going."

"Um, no you're not."

"Okay, I'm really going now."

"Alright, bye.... go, Hyungwon. After all this crap, I really do need to take a shit."

"I'm going."

"Bye."

I leave the bathroom. 

This is nothing, Hyungwon. You're just making it out to be a big deal. You've singlehandedly hated and ignored every person in your school. Ignoring some stupid feelings should be nothing to you.

I'm walking back to the seat when I hear the bathroom door open. Minhyuk gives me a thumbs up as he exits, then goes back to sit with Shownu, instantly back to their canoodling.

I finally make it back to the seat. Wonho watches with a concerned expression as I shuffle back to my seat, but I merely ignore it and sit back down.

"Um," Wonho's voice, sounding surprisingly timid, pipes up. 

"Did I.. Did I do something wrong?"

God, now I feel bad. Minhyuk was right. As always. God, I wish he was right less.

"No, no, no!" I rush out, holding my palms out towards him. "You did nothing wrong."

I pat my stomach. "I was just feeling a bit nauseous, is all." What a liar.

"Okay." He smiles a bit, probably in relief. He rubs a hand against the back of his neck. "I thought you left because I held your hand."

"Oh.." I say offhandedly. You did, did you?

"I just," he looks back toward me. "I know this has to be weird for you. I thought being welcoming and friendly would help to make us closer and not as awkward."

 I stare at him, silent. 

"The truth is, I don't really like to travel alone. Which is why I made up the refund story. I was hoping you would feel obligated to come with me, so I wouldn't have to be all alone." He laughs a little bit at himself.

"Sorry for that. I just wanted you to know that I wanted you here."

I nod, my cheeks probably aflame. How could I have been so stupid?

"It is a two week trip you know. Two weeks is a long time to be stuck with a stranger." His eyes smile suddenly and he says, "are you sure you can handle two weeks with me?"

No. 

But I laugh anyways. He seems to be such a closet dork. 

"Is it possible to leave then?" I joke.

His face seems to register shock that I actually replied back to him in a nice, actually not awkward manner, and then he smiles back softly.

"So friends?" he asks, offering me his palm.

"Friends," I reply, and shake.