Chapter 22: "You're a fool."

"Rich. For the sake of being rich. Just to kill one man over all the ones I have. How could I say no?"

"You just did." Merek glared at me, the other five of the guards had their necks bent this way and that to avoid Mereks gaze.

"I don't need money, I have so many pleasures but coin isn't one. But," I inched closer to him, sliding the empty mug across the oak table. A better look at Mereks face and he was actually a bit handsome. Just a bit.
"I'll tell you what you can get me."

He was paying attention now, all of them were. "On with it, then."

"That estate, is it truly burnt to the ground?"

"To black rubble." Merek answered, and another guard added, "It looks like black snow fell through, with the ash blowing on the wind. It never stops, there was so much to burn. Took about six hours for it to burn down completely, normal houses take about seventeen minutes."

"You know how long it takes a house to burn down?"

"Hon," the lady regarded me beneath her hood with prying amusement, "the Crime Lord doesn't just keep us around to watch you." She smirked, and I returned it.

Sayter would send off his guards to raid and antagonize the city, because why do it himself? His pleasure comes from what he does to people, I figured, not from what he did to and with their things. We were the same in that regard. Still, the realization reached me that the estate had burnt down, and for an impressive six hours.

I sighed, rolling my eyes about. They found the door first, then Hector, the guard that was posted to watch me. This needed to come out quick, Sayter had eyes all over this continent and I really wouldn't want one to catch me out here "There's a book somewhere in that estate, I don't know where its been last but I need it desperately."

"Impossible. The estate and everything inside is reduced to firewood." The same lady flicked at her nails, her eyes finding something else as she waved the demand away. The skin under Hectors eyes folded, frowning, out of the corner of my eye. He was worried, and he was right to be, too much time had passed, and I can't risk being out here longer than I have. Sayter wouldn't return for another hour, but if one of his workers or spies saw me I was damned. "Trust me, the oldest, bluest hellfire couldn't melt this book. You want the Crime Lord dead, Merek? Consider it done with that book in my hands."

Hectors hand was at my shoulder, "We should be going, ma'am."
So we went, trailing back to the basement.
But Merek wasn't finished, having the whole bar turn in his direction, he slammed his hands down hard on the oak wood. The glass mug falling to a plea on its side. All eyes were on him, all away from me and Hector.

"Dammit. How in hell would I even know what this damn thing looks like even if it does happen to turn up?"

"You will know," and with that, I let Hector carry me back down to the basement. Stopping at the door one last time, I pardoned,
"And Merek, dont read it."

And that was that.

Ф

Hector awoke from him nap, and sobered up just a bit to the strong smell of the piss puddle in my cell. The one I had tried to use a mirror for.
"What in the Gods."

"Hector, my love, you're awake. Can you please make yourself useful and clean up the piss before Sayter gets back."

Hector grunted, but didn't argue. A few thumps and rustles and he opened the cell to throw in an iron bucket and a mop.
"I'll fall myself if I do it, dear."

"Oh, go to hell."
But it was enough, kindly. Later, he would remember this, or not, and whether he regretted it or not I was grateful for him.
I mopped up the little puddle. Fine, Mercy could wait another day.