When Doves Cry

I sat in my car and looked at the all too familiar building...the same one I thought I'd never have to look back and see again.

Yet here I was.

I opened my glove compartment and pulled out the letter I received only a few days ago, I knew what the letter said...I'd just about memorized the whole thing having read it multiple times. And just like the first time I read it, tears began to prick at the back of my eyes.

I removed the letter and gave it one final read through as I knew they'd more than likely keep it once inside.

My little gołąb (dove),

If you have received this letter then it saddens me to say I have exceeded my lifespan here on this earth.
I am not saddened to leave this world, but rather that I never got to tell you goodbye.

I have loved you for so many years and it both aches me and filled me with pride to watch you leave this home.
Now as a final goodbye I leave to you all of my belongings, they are back at the orphanage so you will have to fetch them, and as I wasn't an extravagant person it is not much, but I pray that what I have for you brings you solace and closure.
I love so much Baby, I wish I had more time to tell you more, but remember to always stay strong...and never give up on what your heart tells you.
-Agata

I carefully put the letter back into it's envelope and with one final deep breath, I grabbed my bag and exited the car.

I made my trek up the large stone steps and let myself into the building.

There were a couple of children walking around but ignored me entirely.

A young woman approached me with a kind smile.

"Welcome to Blessed Souls home...do you have an appointment for adoption?"

I shook my head, "no ma'am...I'm actually here on behalf of Sister Agata Nowak."

"Of course, my condolences...was she family?"

I simply nodded, Agata like the other woman here cared for all of us, but she was the closest thing to a mother I'd ever had.

You see in a cold place like this...Love is a rarity, and yet she loved me despite the fact that I was an unwanted child.

The young woman offered me a kind smile and showed me down a hall until we finally reached an office with a name I knew well.

"Sister Magda...a relation of Sister Agata." The woman announced as she peaked her head into the office, I must've been given permission to enter as the woman smiled at me once more before gently ushering me into the room and closing the door behind me.

"Baby Parsons."

I sighed, "Sister Magda." I said before I approached her desk. "I received this a few days ago from Agata..." I confessed as I handed her the letter.

She put on her reading glasses and looked the letter over.

She barely so much as read the note but I could feel her contempt and sustain for things being done out of the ordinary...she then removed her glasses, placed the letter back into its envelope and silently motioned for me to take a seat.