Faith

When I reached the town of Gershaw I noticed how quaint of a place it seemed to be...very clean, and almost like I had somehow take a journey back in time...like you half expected to see a boy name Timmy delivering news papers on his bike...the neighborhoods reminded me of the suburbs in Edward Scissorhands...and while it was pretty, I couldn't help but feel like there was something off about the perfectly maintained lawns and cookie cutter style homes.

I drove past the homes and made my way into town to find a place to stay while I'm here.

But after finding no Motels or Hotels I gave up and decided to have a quick bite at a very cliche looking diner.

There was something about this town that read 50s...And I only hoped that (being a person of color as well as an outsider), this picturesque little town didn't also have decades old thinking as racism was alive and well back then even more so considering I am now in the south.

But not wanting to think the worse of this town of its people (as I'd only just arrived) I let myself into the diner and of course just about everyone in the eating establishment stopped to look at me as I entered.

I gave an awkward smile and saw a sign that said 'Seat Yourself.'

I easily found an empty booth in the back of the diner and tucked myself behind one of their tall menus.

I didn't even have time to look at the menu before a girl approached me. She was really young probably only 16.

"Hi, my names Faith and I'll be your waitress today, can I get you started with a drink?"

"Oh....uh, just a coke please." I said.

She nodded and then disappeared to get my drink but when she came back she was awaiting my order.

"I'll just have your cheese burger combo." I said trying to make things simple.

"Everything on it?"

"No mayo or onions please." I said.

She smiled, "You just passin' through or stayin' awhile?"

"Uh, I'm here on business so it really just depends on the outcome of the business." I answered her knowing she'd probably go and tell everyone else who wanted to know about the stranger in town.

"Well I'll go and put your order in." She smiled, "Be back in a Jiffy."

I pulled out my phone and opened my maps again, I silenced the volume and saw that the address was still ten minutes away, clearly it was located on the other side of town.

While I awaited my food I went ahead and did a quick search for any nearby hotels. But my search came up blank.

I really didn't want to have to trail back to Franklin and get a place there. As it's a bigger city I knew the rooms would probably double in price, not to mention the gas I'd be wasting driving to and from Gershaw and Franklin.

"Here you go." The girl named Faith sounded cheerfully as she brought my food out alongside a bottle of ketchup.

"That really was fast." I acknowledged.

She smiled and nodded, "Burger convos are pretty simple for the cook...anyways...is there anything else I can get you?"

Instinctually I was about to shake my head and say no as she had in fact brought out my order and there wasn't technically I needed food wise as she'd also brought ketchup and there were napkins, salt, and pepper on the table already.

But I thought of something else she could hopefully help me with. "Uh, actually maybe you can help me with something else...you wouldn't happen to know of any hotels or anything I could check into for the night?"