Jealous Guy

We only stayed with Maxen's mother a short while longer. We could tell she was tired but forcing herself to stay awake to talk with us.

"We'll be back later Ma...I'm pretty tired."

She nodded, "your father told me some uptowners crossed onto the property last night."

Maxen nodded, "Yeah, the guard and I handled it quickly." He said before looking over at me, "Made sure everyone was safe..." He said before turning back to his mom now, "...but I didn't exactly get much sleep after the incident."

I did not realize he hadn't fallen asleep with me last night. And knowing him, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't sleep at all thinking those guy would come back again.

"Well, Don't burden yourselves to come back...your dad will be by after work and I'm sure we'll just bore you both with our enthralling late night puzzle session." She smiled.

Maxen and I told her goodbye before we finally left.

When we got back to the Bayou I let out a sigh of relief and Maxen obviously noticed. "You alright?" He asked.

I simply nodded and this time he sighed, "Look, I know it's no fun visiting my mom...-"

"Maxen, I really enjoyed spending some time with your mom...and thank you for allowing me to meet her, that's very special to me." I said honestly. "It's only, I meant what I said earlier about hospital's freaking me out...and then mixed with what happened last night and knowing the hospital is on Diana's pack lands...I don't know I felt like everyone there was watching us or something and...I don't know, I'm probably just being paranoid."

He unbuckled his seatbelt and took my hand into his, "You have every cause for concern in a situation like that, you're smart to be weary Baby...That's also why I want you to stay here the night of the fight." He admitted.

"Maxen..."

He shook his head with determination, "I too meant what I said earlier about you being a distraction...but the Bayou is the safest place for you, If anyone tried anything with you here on our lands we could have cause for retaliation...anywhere else, and they could spin it as us attacking them for no reason."

I knew what he said made sense, but the thought of him leaving and me not being with him suddenly made my chest grow tight.

He reached up now and caressed my face, probably feeling my sudden spike in nerves and anxiousness he looked at me with such caring eyes, "How about we go upstairs and we can talk a little more."

I nodded, and followed his actions of unbuckling and getting out of the car.

Once we were inside I went straight to the bedroom and he followed me, I knew he was tired and as he laid down on the bed his eyes closed, but he reopened them to look at me and smile, "Come here you." He said playfully.

I couldn't help but smile and scoot closer to him, he wrapped his arm around me and began to stroke my upper arm with his finger tips. The action tickled slightly, but also left trails of electric currents.

"You said you wanted to talk more about marking?"

I couldn't meet his eyes now, "It's just...I overheard you and your dad this morning."

He nodded, "there was a brief moment last night out on the dock, While I'm more than into you, and the fact that our mates pull is very strong for one another...I think the fight, and my wolf wanting to protect you amplified everything and for the slightest moment I thought about marking you..."

"But you didn't." I pointed out.

He stayed silent for just a moment, trying to gather his words before he finally spoke. "Marking is something beautiful and special and not something to be taken lightly or done in a moment of urgency and desperation."