Chapter 3

At the end of the class, Ms.Calleros tells Miles to stay after class. You stand outside of the classroom door, listening to the conversation as you lean back against the hallway wall.

Ms. Calleros slides him a piece of paper, a test paper, that reads '0/100'.

"A zero? A few more of those and you probably have to kick me outta here, huh? Maybe I'm just not right for this school?" Miles gives a fake wince with a shrug. Ms. Calleros sighs.

"If a person wearing a blind fold picked the answers on a true or false quiz at random, do you know what score they would get?" She asked as she leans forwards on her desk.

"Fifty percent?" Miles asks.

"That's right!" Ms. Calleros grins as she gives him a look. "Wait wait-," Miles tries to backtrack.

"The only way to get all the answers wrong, is to know which answers were right. You're trying to quit. And I'm not going to let you. I'm assigning you a personal essay. Not about physics, but about you and what kind of person you want to be," Ms. Calleros cuts Miles off. He sighs as he looks down at the ground.

He nods subtly and starts to head towards the classroom door. You step around the doorway, grinning sadly at him as you wait for him to join you.

"Oh and Ms.Parker?" Ms. Calleros calls out before you leave. "Yes, Ms.Calleros?" You say as you turn your head towards her.

"Keep him on track, sweetie. I know he has excellent mind, please help him see that," she says with a sad smile. You look down and grin.

"I sure will try Miss C, I will try," you say as you leave, catching up with Miles.
<<<•••>>>

"Could I have any more homework?!" You shout frustratingly from your seat next to Miles in his dorm room. He laughs and grabs a slice of pizza from the box on his dorm bed.

"Well, at least you don't have a personal essay to write..." He retorts as he looks down at his paper that wrote 'Great Expectations', but nothing on the paper.

"I'd take a personal essay over "Political Disputes Over the Last Ten Years" any day.." You groan as you rest your forehead on the desk you sit at.

You look around the tall pile of books in between the two of you and point down to your essay you need to finish.

"Well, it's not personal," he mutters as he picks up a pencil.

He brings it to the paper, but hesitates.

What is he supposed to write? He's mind draws blank..

You notice as a small frown curves his lips.

"Hey, how about a break?" You ask as you push your chair out, standing to your feet.

"I'm pretty sure you can get detention for this but... you want to go see Uncle Aaron?" You ask with a mischievous smile as you point at the window.

Miles glances at his roommate, who is knocked out on the bottom bunk, then looks back at you with a smirk and nods. You grab one of his hoodies and throw it on, while he puts on a zip up with headphones around his neck.

You put the hood over your head and slipped out of the room, with Miles following. You and him laugh as you run across the flooded streets of Brooklyn.

You pull Miles out of the way of a zooming car, ending up in a awkward hug. You were only a few blocks away when Miles speaks up.

"Thank you, Y/n. You know, for getting me away from it all," Miles says gratefully as he side glances you. You smirk.

"And making you laugh?" You question and poke his face. "And making me laugh," Miles adds as he grabs your wrist before you pull it away.

"I just.... I don't know where I'd be without you," He speaks quietly as he pulls your wrist closer to him. You gulp at the sudden closeness, feeling your cheeks get warm.

"W-well... that's what friends are for right?" You question as you grin nervously.

The sinking feeling returned, but one of sadness, knowing he probably only sees your as a friend.

"Yeah.. friends," he mutters as his face drops.

Miles lets go of your wrist and walks ahead of you. The sinking feeling gets worse, guilt creeping in.

'He said it like it was a bad thing..' You frown slightly, before trying to shake it off and catch up with him.

The rest of the walk is a bit awkward, seeing that he listened to his music the rest of the way.

"We're here," Miles finally says as he puts his headphones around his neck again.

You both walk up the fire escape, to the apartment with the most light, knowing it's Aaron's place.

Miles chuckles as he gets up to the side window first. He takes a picture of Aaron with his phone. You smile as he adds stickers to the picture and then sends it to Aaron.

After a second, Aaron chuckles and looks up to see both of you. Miles made a series of hilarious faces, causing you both to go into a laughing fit.

When Aaron finally opened the window, you hop into the apartment, quietly laughing. Aaron keeps his grin as Miles enters the apartment too. Once you both make it in, you turn and hug Aaron.

"Hey Y/n! It's so good to see you. I haven't seen you since you were... this big?" Aaron questions as he puts a hand out to your previous height. You snicker.

"I was like, 7," You reply as you look around the room, taking in his setup.

"Well, anyways. What are you guys doing here? What's up with school?" Aaron asks as Miles walks over to the punching bag.

Miles starts punching while answering Aarons question.

"Going great. Got tons of friends," Miles says sarcastically as he continues punching.

"You can't tell me it's all that bad there... smart girls is where it's at. Place must be full of 'em. Take Y/n for example," Aaron says as he winks at you friendlily.

You roll your eyes playfully and laugh. Aaron walks over to the bag and hold its for Miles, as he replies.

"No, there's no one. No one," Mile replies with glancing at you as you walk over to the couch, resting your legs on the soft cushions.

"Yo, I cannot have a nephew of mine on the streets with no game," Aaron grins as Miles throws his last punch.

"I got game! There was a new girl, actually, she's kinda into me. You know how it is," Miles shrugs as he walks over to the couch, near you.

He lifts your legs and sits on the cushion below, then places your legs on his lap.

"Huh, sure," you snicker sarcastically as you roll your eyes, trying to play off the twinge of jealousy.

"Ooh.. Y/n's jealous~," Aaron catches on as he sits on the last cushion, by Miles.

"Nah. I just know he met her today and she's way out of his league," you tease Miles. He gives you a look as Aaron laughs.

"What's her name?" Aaron asks.

"Her-her name? Oh her name, well-well... You know we... this is... we're laying down the ground work right now," Miles finally answers, trying to play it cool.

Aaron laughs at Miles' attempt.

"You know about the shoulder touch?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1264 word count. Until the next chapter. -Kay