Chapter Seventeen

"That's crazy talk," she replied, her voice cracking as her heart lodged in her throat.

"It's the first sane thing I've said in years."

They couldn't get married. That was crazy and her family would never forgive her if they weren't a part of her wedding, especially her mom. Did she even want to get married? That was a big commitment, especially when they were both broken people.

Struggling to get out from underneath him, she said, "Marriage is a big step."

"One that I'm ready to take with you."

"I think the heat is getting to you," she said, trying to joke around and get the topic back onto the lighter side.

He ground his aroused member against her. "If this is heat stroke, I'm all for it."

She swatted his shoulder. "You're insatiable."

"So whatcha gonna do about it?" He wiggled his eyebrows at her.

"I could let you hand-le it," she said cheekily. Truth be told, she wouldn't mind watching for a change. He'd seen her fondling herself. He could return the favor.

"I'd much rather bury myself deep inside you, much more pleasurable."

Her insides warmed and her parts tingled at the thought. They had certainly been making use of their bodies over the last few days. She couldn't ever remember feeling so satisfied, yet unsatisfied at the same time. And just the thought of him taking her again made her smile. "I'm up for that."

"I think you mean, I'm up for that," he said, pressing against her again. "So, are you going to marry me or what?"

Tamara squeezed her eyes closed. She came so close to changing the topic and now he was right back to it again. "It's only been a few days, Logan."

"I already knew what I wanted when I came on board."

"Why now? What makes now the perfect time?"

"Maybe I'm tired of living without you and want to settle down."

She squeezed out from underneath him and grabbed the edge of the bed to help her stand up, and then sat on the edge.

Her eyes burned and a block had taken up residence in her throat. It always came back to the same thing. "How badly could you want me if it took you this long to come back?"

"Tamara, please, I thought you were married. What did you expect me to do? Come back and wreck your life? I couldn't do that, not to you."

"Don't you get it? My life was already wrecked. Do you want to know why I didn't get married?"

He remained silence, watching her with his bright, annoyingly caring, green eyes. His heart could be seen in his gaze, full of love and hope. And for some reason it annoyed her. Standing up, she had to put some distance between them.

"He refused to marry me after I yelled out your name during sex," she snapped. "That's when I realized that marrying anyone was pointless because I couldn't give them what you had already taken."

"What's that?"

Tamara wrapped her arms around herself, tears streaming down her cheeks. "My heart, you pig-headed doofus!"

"Oh," was his only response as a big grin spread across his face.

Her hands dropped to her side, her hands balling into fists. "And if you would have came back, you would have known that."

His smile faded and remorse filled his face, his shoulders slumping. He got down on one knee in front of her, taking her hand. "Tamara, I can't take back what I've done, and I sincerely apologize for not coming home earlier. There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't think about you, didn't look at your picture in my wallet. It's been with me day and night."