Chapter Thirty-Five

*Unedited*

"And now we're here," she replied, finishing her story. When she turned back to glance at her friend, she found her eyes closed and her chest raising and lowering in even breaths. "Of course, you'd fall asleep. I never realized my voice was that boring before."

Should she sneak out and try to find out what was going on? Logan would be furious, but she couldn't stay here any longer and not find another way to help. She'd stay for a few more minutes and make sure that Darla was stable and then run out quickly and be back before she woke up. The pain meds should keep her out for a few hours at least. Minimal noise as she doesn't snore thankfully. She was more like a kitten purring than anything. No one should hear her.

Tamara put her ear up against the door and listened, waiting for any sound that might alert her to someone's presence. After a few minutes in the clear, she quietly opened the door and cringed when it creaked. Looking back to the bed, she was pleased to see Darla out like a light. She stepped out the door and shut it behind her, then swore quietly as she patted her pockets.

She forgot that it wasn't their room and as such, didn't have a key for it like the boys did. "Damn it." Now she had no choice but to track them down and hope like hell no one found her. The boys didn't fill her in on the plan, but if she knew anything about hostages and bad guys, she was certain that they'd take the people to the biggest rooms on the ship—the dining halls.

And if she knew her new husband any, that's exactly where he'd start and then work his way up to the big boys. Once the big kahuna's realize that no one is coming to their rescue, they tend to cave pretty quickly. They aren't as brave as their men often think they are.

Taking the stairs, she raced towards the closest dining room, being ever mindful of each corner and crevice someone could be hiding. The last thing she needed was to run into someone and startle them.

At the end of the hall she skidded to a halt before peering around the corner. It was empty. Tamara pressed her lips together and placed her hands on her hips. That wasn't something she expected. She stared at the door, contemplating on whether she should open it. There was no telling what was behind it.

The only other door was the employee entrance off to the side and even that was a bit risky. But if there was no one guarding the doors is it possible that no one was inside and her guess was wrong? Tamara walked over to the door and pressed her ear up against it. Murmured cries of anguish filtered through the door.

Grabbing the handle, she gently tugged on the door, but it didn't budge. They must have locked it from the inside. Not wanting to draw more attention to herself, she decided not to give it a harder tug.

Leaning forward, she tried to peek through the crack between the double doors and caught a tiny glimpse of people moving around inside. She couldn't tell what was going on through. Suddenly, the sound of footsteps down the hall made her jump. Tamara glanced around frantically looking for a place to hide, but found nothing; her heart pounding rapidly.

Only place to go was up the stairs and even then she didn't know what she'd find. What if someone was coming down while she went up? Well, she didn't have much time to decide and knew it was her only option. At least until she knew who it was.

Tamara took the stairs until she reached the first platform and then went up a few more stairs to be out of the person's line of sight. But just as she did that, footsteps could be heard coming down the stairs. "Crap," she muttered. Just her luck.

There wasn't anywhere she could go. Both individuals were closing in on her. Her palms grew sweaty and her heart kicked up another notch. She didn't like this. It made her feel like she was a deer caught in the headlights. If she could have one super power in the world, she would love to be made invisible right about now. Blend into the wall and be able to watch all the action instead of being caught in it.