Chapter Thirty-Two

*unedited*

Logan was just coming down the hall when she heard her cry. He'd taken longer than he planned because he was just about spotted by one of the hostiles. Was he too late? Rushing the rest of the way, he swiped his card and entered the room, only to see her performing CPR.

Under his arm was an AED kit, he figured they'd need it at some point, but he was hoping not so soon. There was still a lot to do. "Where's Jason?"

Leaning down, she went to give Darla mouth to mouth. "Gone to...call for...help," she said between blows. "Breath, damn it!"

He ripped open the woman's shirt and placed the pads on her chest, then charged the device. When it said to remove your hands, they did, and they watched as it shocked her system. "Continue CPR," it said to them

Tears were streaming down Tamara's face and it hit him right in the heart with his own tears threatening to surface. "Please, Darla. Breathe!" she begged, as she continued the CPR reps.

He was almost beginning to think she'd never come back after a few rounds of the AED, but then they heard the precious words. "Heartbeat found."

As soon as that happened, Tamara dropped to the floor, burying her face in her hands, sobbing. Then it was his turn to treat her wound, and thankfully was able to slow the blood flow. He hoped like heck that the bullet hadn't nicked an artery, but he wasn't sure. When Darla was stable, he raced around the bed and pulled Tamara into his arms. "You did awesome, baby!" he said, tenderly rubbing her back.

She didn't say anything, just buried her face in his chest and cried, her hands gripping his shirt as if holding on for dear life. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I left. This is all my fault."

"It wasn't you, honey. You didn't shoot her."

"I got her into this mess."

He cradled her face in the palm of his hands and kissed her softly, wiping her tears away. "You are in no way to blame for this. They are. And we are going to make them pay. I promise!"

Tamara glanced at Darla's pale hand that had slipped off the bed in the disarray. "Think she'll be okay?"

The girl was in dire straits that much he knew, and the only way that she'd survive much longer was if they got her off the ship somehow. But they were too far from land to use a life raft with any degree of success. They had to take back the ship, and soon. Take out the men 1 by 1.

"I'm going to do everything in my power to see that we all make it off this boat alive. And then you and I are going to have a good long talk about our future."

He held her a few minutes longer and then stood up to check on Darla. The girl had lost a lot of blood and wasn't out of the woods yet, but they got her heart started again and that was a good sign. Reaching for her wrist, he timed her pulse. It was weak, but beating steadily.

"When Jason gets back we'll formulate a plan," Logan said, as he helped Tamara up from the floor. Her face was rosy and her eyes red from crying. He wished he could take all her pain away and tell her that everything would be fine, but he had no way of knowing for sure and he wasn't one for empty promises. If he said something, he meant it.

Touching the back of his hand against Darla's forehead, he found it cool to the touch. No sign of infection yet. "I want you to stay with her, okay?" he said to Tamara.

She stood up to her full height, and squared her shoulders, her hands balling. "I'm going to find who started this, and I'm gonna kill him."

He had to keep her out of harm's way. "Look, if she doesn't remember any of us, the only person she's going to want to see when she wakes up is you. You need to stay."