Chapter 1 & 2

Spotify Playlist of all the song through the book can be found here:https://open

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7iM8RPGIihS0bjzimpuMKg?si=49155035be31492c

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heat encircled my throat, constricting like a vice. My desperate wheezes struggled to form a scream for help. The walls seemed to close in, and darkness crept along the edges of my vision. Not again. I can't survive another time.

My heart pounded in my chest, threatening to burst through my skin. His gaze lowers, eyes ablaze with anger, and as his lips part in a snarl...

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

"No..." I gasped.

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

"NO!!!" My voice erupted, sweat cascading down my face. My eyes snapped open in shock. As I gathered my surroundings, I realized where I was, and the incessant beeping was coming from a hidden alarm clock. Lexi must have snuck it into my room while I was sleeping.

That smart-ass, but damn, I loved her. Ever since we met in the guidance counselor's office on the final day of high school, she had been looking out for me. Since university orientation, the nightmares had resurfaced. Stress triggered them, just stress.

I mentally reminded myself to avoid creepy shows from then on. After knocking over my guitars and a stack of vitamins, my searching fingers finally located the annoying alarm clock, and I silenced it. Peace, at last. Thank the Lord tap-dancing Christ!

"Quinn?" Lexi tapped on the door.

"Are you up, or did you manage to turn off that fantastic alarm in your sleep?" I heard the faint smirk in her voice. Maybe if I pretended to still be asleep, she would leave without me.

"Quinn?" The door creaked open, and I lay still, my eyes squeezed shut, willing them not to betray me by twitching beneath my lids.

"Up and at 'em! We've got classes to attend and boys to ogle... I mean, seriously hot uni boys to meet." Her voice singsonged as she jumped onto my bed, her fingers finding my sides, tickling until I couldn't help but laugh.

"Okay, okay, Lex, I'm getting up." I sat up, and she took a seat at the edge of the bed, her hand close to mine.

She knew I wasn't fond of being touched, so she kept a slight distance. She didn't know everything about my past, but she knew more than most.

"Are you okay? Nervous about something?" I didn't want to worry her because her overprotective instincts would kick in, and she would smother me all day long. It was in her genes, being the oldest of three girls.

"Just a little bit. But I'll be fine, really." I put on a brave face as she squinted her eyes, trying to determine if I was bluffing.

"Seriously, Lex, I'm okay. First days are always nerve-racking, especially in a new state. I'll be relieved once I settle into the rhythm of things." I playfully punched her shoulder.