Chapter 51

Quinn

"Where are we going? You're making me nervous!" It had been almost 6 weeks since my operation, which had been a success. Thanks to doctor John I was cancer free once again and narrowly avoided having to undergo any chemotherapy this time around. Of course it would need to continue being monitored closely for the next few years, but that was a very small price to pay in comparison to the alternative.

Mason had insisted on taking me somewhere special. Despite my relentless questioning and playful tickling, he refused to spill any details about his "surprise."
"Not telling... but let's just say 'Hashtag: excitement!" he exclaimed, tugging at my arm as I burst into uncontrollable giggles at his attempt to channel his inner basic white girl.

We arrived outside an old house in my hometown. It was a weathered weatherboard house, with peeling paint and parts of the roof caved in. I tried to hide my confusion as Mason kissed my hand and led me through a trail to the backyard. The neglected hedges and the white rose bushes tangled around the clothesline revealed that no one had lived here for at least 5 years. Lost in my thoughts, I didn't notice that Mason had come to a stop until I collided with his back and stumbled, ending up on my butt in the knee-length grass.

"Woah, I know you think I'm hot but I'm pretty sure foreplay doesn't start with bashing up your boyfriend." he chuckled, helping me up until our bodies were pressed tightly together. I looked up at him, feeling my body temperature rise. I struggled to keep my thoughts coherent.
"Boyfriend?" I managed to swallow the lump in my throat, hoping he wouldn't take it back. His eyes softened, and he ran his fingers through my hair.
"Well yeah. I sure as hell am not sharing you with anyone else." he said, flashing me a sexy grin that made my legs go weak.
"Mine..." he whispered, his lips gently brushing against mine in a possessive yet tender kiss. It left me breathless. As he pulled away, I kept my eyes closed for a few extra seconds, trying to regain my composure. I had never experienced such intense emotions or physical responses to anyone before.

"Before you make me want to race back home and lock us in the bedroom, lets keep going. I want to show you my secret place." he said, resuming our journey through the overgrown grass behind the house.
"Your secret place?" I asked, my curiosity piqued.
"Yeah, this used to be my house when I was first put into foster care." he said, giving me a quick smile before forging ahead, our legs brushing against the dry grass.
"There's some things I want to tell you Quinn, but it just wasn't the right time. I think I'm ready now." he stated firmly. As we reached a clearing beyond the rickety picket fence, I saw a lake adorned with white roses and lilies. It was the same lake I used to frequent in my free time as a child.

His lake was my lake?

"You came here as a kid?" I asked, genuinely stunned. Mason leaned down, plucked a single lily, and handed it to me.
"Yes. I used to run down here when my foster parents weren't home. It wasn't often but it was my escape from a family I didn't belong in." he explained. I took the rose and inhaled its sweet fragrance, humming with delight.
"I loved this place too. Especially when a storm was coming in." I reminisced, smiling fondly at the memory.
"I loved this place, especially when I saw you." Mason said, tilting my chin up. His eyes blazed with intensity.
"Whenever I saw you, you looked so happy. So free. I knew you were a beautiful person back then even if I didn't know you yet because despite your life at home, you kept a smile on your face," the intensity in his eyes grew.
"Sometimes I'd hear your parents yelling at you when I was out here, so I'd make bouquet of lily's and roses from the bank and throw them across to your side, hoping it was make you smile at least once more." 

I thought back to the time when my dad slapped me across the hands for not memorising my bible verses. A few days later, when I was finally allowed outside, I had rushed down to the lake, my sanctuary. And there, I found a bunch of slightly wilted roses and lilies. I had thought it was a sign from God, a reward for enduring my punishment. Little did I know that it was Mason behind those gestures. Tears welled up in my eyes, and a lump formed in my throat.

"Thank you. I always looked forward to them when I was allowed to come outside." I confessed, momentarily transported back to that little girl standing on the lake's bank, except this time, I stood on the other side.
"I kept them in my room in a vase until they eventually died, but every time I came back out, there was a new bunch. I... don't know what I would have done if I didn't have that fresh bunch of hope to look forward to. Thank you." I said, standing on my tiptoes and kissing his cheek. He turned his face, and our lips met in a passionate embrace. His arms squeezed me as we kissed, our lips and tongues entwined in a display of fiery desire that made me forget where we were.

"C'mon, I've still got more to show you."

We made our way to the main street and stopped in front of my parents' church. My chest tightened as memories of countless Sundays flooded my mind. Despite being surrounded by people, I had always felt so alone. Unconsciously, I had been gripping Mason's hand tightly, until he whispered in my ear.
"I'm not going to run away you know?" He looked down at our intertwined hands. I gasped, releasing my grip, and gave him an apologetic smile as a blush crept onto my cheeks.

I may be a grown woman, but churches still evoke fear in me.

Mason sat down on the front steps, where I had spent many afternoons by myself, and pulled me close beside him. It was the same sky I used to gaze at, the same building I used to come to, the same step I used to sit on. But with Mason by my side, everything felt different. I felt stronger with him there, even though I knew it was risky to derive my strength solely from someone else, given the imperfections and disappointments that can come with it. Still, it was nice to finally trust someone in that way.

"Remember that day your parents held a sausage sizzle outside here? The BBQ was there and the line of people came all the way out to here..." Mason pointed to the exact spots. My curiosity heightened, and I listened intently as he continued, fully aware that he had my undivided attention.
"You were so hungry that day. Your parents told you off for every little thing that just comes natural to a normal kid." he said, his elbows resting on his knees.
"How did you know I was hungry, you stalker?" I laughed playfully, nudging him. He gave me a sideways smile and looked at the ground.
"You really wanted food that day but they made you wait. I knew how it felt to go hungry often..." My heart shattered as I pictured a young Mason clutching his stomach.
"I couldn't bear to see you feel that way..." he murmured, stealing glances at me through his dark hair, which fell across his eyes.
"You're the sausage boy!!" I squealed with delight, throwing my arms around his neck and giving him the tightest hug imaginable. I could feel his chest vibrating, his laughter filling the air, and soon enough, it infected me, causing my eyes to water.
"Well, I mean, if you like sausages that much..." He laughed.

On that day, right here on these very steps, I had prayed for a friend like him. Little did I know that I would end up head over heels in love with him, my best friend.
"I'm in love with the sausage boy!" I yelled in the midst of laughter, but then I froze, my eyes widening in realization. I had just confessed my love to Mason in a town where my parents still resided. What if they were in the church at this very moment?

A smile still played on his face as he bent down, his eyes locking with mine.
"I have just one more thing to show you and then you can say what you want to say."

The entire car ride was filled with silence, and my curiosity gnawed at me relentlessly. The soft whirring from the car's engine provided the only sound as I sat there, anxiously wringing my fingers.

 The soft whirring from the car's engine provided the only sound as I sat there, anxiously wringing my fingers