Chapter 39

Mason

I was curious to what Quinn might be up to at Jim's. Speaking to her on the phone I couldn't help but tease her. The way she laughed, it made my heart race and my jeans feel tighter. Fuck, am I whipped?

As I hopped into my car and started driving towards Jim's place, I let my thoughts drift. Driving always gave me a moment to reflect, and ever since Quinn entered my life, she consumed my every waking moment. Maybe it was unhealthy, but I didn't give a damn. I wanted to be everything for her, do anything for her. I just needed to prove that she could trust me, that I wasn't going to walk away.

Something had been off with her ever since that wild night at Chris' party. Well, she's always been a bit eccentric, and that's part of what I adore about her. But this was different. I knew she went through something that night, something no one should ever have to endure, especially someone as pure as her. It reminded me, I should swing by the police station later this week and check if there's any progress in Chris' case. Can't have that sick fuck roaming free, especially when I can't always be there to protect her.

She stopped coming to class altogether, without a word. Lexi and I caught glimpses of her leaving at odd times during the week, claiming to run errands. I knew she was keeping things from me, but I was desperate to help her in any way I could. I just wanted her to let me in. Tonight, I had a surprise planned for her, hoping it would encourage her to open up. I wasn't one to cling to people, not after losing my parents, but I couldn't fathom a life without Quinn. I had to face the truth... damn it, I was falling in love with her.

 damn it, I was falling in love with her