Chapter 49

Mason

The moment Quinn's call came through, I dropped everything and raced from the flower shop I'd been at just to get to her. Chris, that motherfucker was going to pay, especially if he set even just one finger on her.

I kept the phone on speaker, gripping the steering wheel as I maneuvered through traffic like a man on a mission.

Hang in there, Quinn. I'm almost there, baby.

I didn't bother turning off the car; I just bolted out, leaving the door wide open, and sprinted as if my life depended on it. And in a way, it did. Quinn had become my entire world.

My shoes screeched against the hospital floor as I rounded the corner and barged into her room.

"Hey, back the fuck away from her, you asshole!" I shouted, storming towards him.

Don't touch him, Mase. Don't give him any evidence to use against you.

Thankfully, I had dialled one of my colleagues on the phone in the car as I raced over.

I just need to keep him distracted, keep him here until the cops arrive.

Quinn's face reflected a mix of fear and relief. I quickly scanned her for any signs of harm and noticed blood trickling from where the catheter had been. That's when I saw she was holding it in her hand, poised like a weapon against Chris. A proud smile tugged at my lips.

That's my girl.

"How nice of you to show Mr Ambrose. Did you need more work? Or are you here to fight for the girl?" Chris mocked, his weasel-like face contorted. No doubt he was high as a kite, his dilated pupils giving it away.
"I'm here to tell you to back the fuck off man. I don't want her involved. If you ever touch her..." My jaw clenched, muscles coiling with rage. The blood thundered in my ears, drowning out Chris's response.
"Or what? Please, I would love to hear a threat I could use for evidence." he sneered, tapping his jacket pocket. I knew he recorded every damn conversation, gathering bits and pieces to incriminate anyone who pissed him off. I was at the top of his hit list.

"Freeze!" a commanding voice boomed from the doorway. Thank God, it was Steve. Despite being on the other side of town when I called, he arrived with impressive speed.

As Steve leveled his gun at Chris, the room fell into an eerie silence, broken only by Chris's chilling chuckle.
"Relax, mate. Last time I checked, visiting a patient wasn't a crime, was it?" His words echoed, and I hurried to Quinn's side, gently applying gauze to her bleeding arm.
"No, it's not a crime, but I believe she doesn't want you here. So, even though I can't arrest you, I can damn well escort you out," Steve said, his resolve wavering. He was just as fed up with Chris's bullshit as I was. We had been working together for years, trying to nail him for something, but the bastard always covered his tracks. No doubt he learned from the best.

"What's the matter? Lost the warrant for my arrest?" Chris jeered, a smug smile etched on his face. I couldn't bring myself to tell Quinn that the warrant had been dropped. I knew it had to be because of his well-connected cousin in the force. It was a slow and calculated game, holding back all the damning evidence against him until we had him cornered for good.

I was still grappling with the frustrating reality that they couldn't slap the handcuffs on him based on mere suspicion, even after he had the audacity to lay a finger on Quinn. If news spread among his gang that he was detained for attempted assault without solid video proof, we would be inviting a storm of retribution crashing down on us, infiltrating the very core of our force. It sickened me that I never got redemption for Quinn.

Steve's irritation was palpable as he took a step forward, flicking the tip of his gun towards the exit, signalling Chris to leave the same way he had entered.

Luckily, he didn't need to be told twice. Chris left without a fight, but I knew it wouldn't be the last I saw of him. Especially now that Quinn was on his radar.

 Especially now that Quinn was on his radar