Chapter 37

I sat on top of my covers for the next few hours listening to music, drawing anything to exhaust my mind so I could go to sleep, but to no avail.  I had concocted countless scenarios in my head, imagining conversations that would never take place. It was all getting ridiculously out of hand.

A soft knock on my door interrupted my thoughts, and I hastily set aside my sketch pad and pencil before going to answer it. I opened the door slightly, and Mason burst into the room, shutting the door behind him. He pressed me against the door, his arms braced on either side of me, his eyes scanning my attire—a pair of really short shorts and a black tank top. I felt exposed and vulnerable, not expecting any company.

"Couldn't sleep. Saw your light on, had to see you. You're driving me crazy," he gasped, leaning against the door.
"I didn't do anything wrong, did I?" I instinctively tried to cover my legs with my hands. Mason shook his head, his face furrowed with a frown.
"No, Quinn, you didn't do anything wrong. Everything about you is so right. I haven't been able to look at another girl since I met you. I tried to have a meaningless fling not long after we met, but I couldn't. All I could think about was how I wished she were you." His gaze lingered on me, his eyes closing briefly, revealing the pain etched on his face.
"What's wrong?" I cupped his face with my hands, forcing him to meet my gaze.
"I just... I need to know how you feel before I do anything. I can't bear the thought of losing you. I've never been so scared of losing someone since my parents passed away." He took a deep breath, his jaw clenching.
"I just... I have to know... please. You're driving me insane," he whispered.

"Mase, when I first met you, I thought you were the most stunning man on the planet, but also the biggest player. I was afraid of getting hurt, so I kept my feelings limited to friendship. There are things in my life that I can't explain right now. I want you, but I can't fully commit, Mase. It wouldn't be fair to you," I confessed, biting my lip nervously, waiting for his response.

His face conveyed more than his words ever could. Frustration simmered beneath the surface as he spoke with controlled restraint.
"What's the big secret, Quinn? Why won't you tell me? I'm not going anywhere." He leaned in closer, enclosing me against the door with his presence.
"Mase, I... like you too much to tell you. I don't want to hurt you, and revealing everything will change everything between us. Can you trust me, please?" I pleaded, my eyes silently begging him. Please, just let it go.

"Can you answer one question before I decide to trust you?" His voice was barely audible, the question difficult for him to ask. I nodded once, restraining myself from provoking him further. "Is there someone else?" He asked, his voice barely a whisper. I smiled and shook my head vigorously.
"There's no one else," I replied, a hint of amusement in my tone.
"Then I can work with that. I'm not letting you go, ever. No matter how long it takes, I'll prove that you can trust me as much as I trust you. Quinn... I'll never leave." He extended his hand and linked his pinky finger with mine, securing a piece of my heart. It had involuntarily been surrendered to him, leaving me even more conflicted about what was right and wrong.

I tightened my grip on his finger.
"Then I promise I'll tell you... eventually." He leaned in again, pressing his forehead against mine. His breath was heavy, his arms tense, his inked skin taut with strain.
"Okay," he breathed out, pulling me closer.

Our lips collided with an insatiable hunger, a maddening dance of tongues that left me breathless and yearning for more. The world around us melted away, leaving only the scorching heat of our connection.

Pinned against the door, his body pressed against mine, the passion consumed us both. His hands, calloused and confident, explored my body with a reverence that bordered on worship. Down my back they ventured, teasing and taunting, sending shivers of anticipation rippling through me.