Chapter 41

The place was bustling with the largest crowd I had ever seen since my first visit. Mason was engaged in a conversation with Jim outside, while people poured into the venue. The band had set up on the stage, and everything was in place. I discreetly ducked my head out of the door and gave Mason a thumbs-up to signal that it was time. He responded with his captivating smile, causing a rush of warmth to spread across my face. It annoyed me how he had the power to make me feel that way with just a simple movement of his lips.

I hurried to the stage and motioned for everyone to settle down, pointing towards the door where Jim would be entering any minute. The crowd of volunteers, band enthusiasts, and loyal patrons took a step back, creating space for Jim as he cautiously stepped inside. The room fell into hushed whispers as he crossed the threshold. The old man stood there, his eyes wide like saucers, scanning the transformed tavern. He turned his head left and right, trying to absorb the sight before him. A hand reached up to scratch his silver hair, and then he burst into laughter. Tears streamed down his rosy cheeks as he made his way through the crowd, embracing every person in sight on his way to the bar. The crowd erupted in cheers, clapping and whistling. The energy in the room was gratifying, witnessing everyone's joy for Jim.

He ran has hand over the new smoothed out bar and smiled, shaking his head.

Mason spoke into the microphone, addressing Jim,
"Jimmy, congratulations. There is no one more deserving of this than you. On behalf of everyone here, we want to say thank you." He pointed towards Jim, and the genuine agreement from the crowd lit up Jim's face, bringing him to life.

Mason glanced at me as I descended the steps of the stage, preparing to handle the sound mixing for the band as I had been doing for the past few weeks. His warm hand clasped my wrist, pulling me back towards him. I gave him a puzzled look, unsure why he wanted me on stage. I hadn't rehearsed and felt completely unprepared.

He quickly fetched a chair, placing it near me, and gestured for me to sit. He silently communicated with the band members, and cautiously, I settled into the chair, gripping its sides tightly as if it might take flight from underneath me. It felt as though it might, given that my stomach had relocated to my throat and my heart seemed to have dropped out of my body.

The guitars began to hum with life, and Mason turned to face me, holding one of my hands in his. I realized that I had been holding my breath since the music started, so I inhaled deeply, as if I had just completed a two-mile run.

His piercing light blue eyes bore into my soul, unraveling me with their intensity as he sang the lyrics. In that moment, all my fears dissipated under his gaze. He swept me into a twirl, pulling me closer to him, and positioned the microphone to the side, singing directly into my face. Our fingers intertwined, his warm breath brushing against my lips as he serenaded me. A lump formed in my throat as I realized that this remarkable man standing before me wanted me to love him. Does he love me?

No one else had ever made me feel the way he did. He made me feel beautiful, enough. He brought happiness and fulfillment into my life. But because he meant so much to me, I couldn't be selfish with him. I couldn't make promises of a future I couldn't guarantee, so I didn't want to give him false hope. I longed to express how much I desired him, how I yearned to spend an eternity in his embrace, kissing his lips and his lips alone for the rest of my days... but I couldn't. I couldn't allow him to cling to hope. It wouldn't be fair to him. He had already suffered the loss of every person he had ever loved. I couldn't bear to inflict more pain upon him.

Consumed by guilt, my stomach sank at the realization of what I needed to do.