Chapter 32

March 14th 7:00 pm

I glanced out the window, making sure the darkening sky wouldn't unleash rain on our way to the fun fair. Soon enough, the event's dazzling lights illuminated the surroundings. After Mason parked the car, we all gathered our money and tickets, preparing for the adventure ahead.

"Pssst, Mase," I whispered, drawing closer to him as we followed Lexi and Zach toward the bustling entrance. He casually slipped his hands into his pockets, giving me his full attention. "Lexi wants to introduce Zach to her parents tonight, so when they show up, we gotta vanish," I informed him with a mischievous grin. He returned the smile, saluting me playfully.
"You got it, boss. I'll come up with a damn good distraction," he replied, rubbing his hands together with a cheeky glint in his eyes. It was adorable.

The old guy at the ticket booth tore our tickets and sent us off with a "have fun." Stepping inside the fairgrounds, we came to a stop, taking in the multitude of attractions. Roller coasters, cotton candy stands, kissing booths, and rows upon rows of show bag stalls stretched out as far as the eye could see. This was a whole new level of excitement for me. The church carnivals back home couldn't hold a candle to this.

Lexi pulled Zach toward the cotton candy stand, coaxing him into buying her a massive mound of pink fluff on a stick. Her eyes lit up as he tore off a piece and fed it to her lovingly. I shook my head, unable to hide my smile.
"They're ridiculously in love, aren't they?" I remarked to no one in particular.
"Have you ever been in love?" Mason asked, peering down at me, causing a flush to creep up my cheeks. I stumbled over my words before finding the courage to answer.
"Nah, never let anyone get that close," I replied, crossing my arms and pretending to be cold, not knowing what to do with my hands. My curiosity about his own experiences weighed on me, threatening to burst out of me at any moment.
"What about you? Ever been in love?" I blurted out, watching as he rubbed the back of his neck and let out a laugh.
"I'm like you. Never got attached to anyone, avoiding the disappointment that comes with it," he admitted. I pressed my lips together, nodding in understanding. The fear of heartbreak, the dread of being left behind by someone you let into your world—it was a familiar struggle. I admired Lexi for her resilience, her ability to open her heart despite the recurring pain it brought.

"Hey guys, my mum just texted, said to meet her at the ferris wheel. Let's go!" Lexi tugged on Zach's arm, a sense of urgency in her movements. Mason and I hurriedly followed behind them, trying to keep up with their pace. As we approached, I caught sight of Lexi's parents waving at us, their faces beaming with joy. It was evident how much they adored her as they squeezed her in their arms, whispering loving words while wiping away tears. Lexi's mum extended her arms for a hug, and I embraced her, even though the gesture felt foreign. I wanted to make it feel natural, hoping that with time, it would become less awkward.

"Mum, Dad... this is Zach, my boyfriend," Lexi introduced him, her smile shy yet hopeful. Her parents studied him for a moment before welcoming him with open arms. Her mother shared Lexi's striking features, with big brown eyes, short brown hair, and long legs. Her father had a sturdy build, black hair, and vibrant green eyes. They enthusiastically engaged in conversation with Zach, while Mason and I approached.

"Uh, I'm gonna get this one something to eat. I can practically hear her stomach growling from here. You guys want anything?" Mason offered, grabbing my hand. His touch ignited a fire on my skin.
"No, I'm good. How about you guys?" Lexi asked the rest of the group. They all shook their heads simultaneously.
"Alright, be back soon!" Mason called out as we headed toward a food kiosk.
"We're not actually getting food, are we?" I inquired.
"Nah, that was my grand distraction plan. Pretty clever, huh?" He beamed, proud of his scheme. His grip tightened around mine as we strolled leisurely through the bustling crowd. The warmth from his hand travelled up my arm, quickening my heartbeat.
"So, what do you feel like doing?" he asked, tracing his thumb along the top of my glove.
"I don't know. I've never... I mean, I'm not familiar with what you usually find at these events." I quickly corrected myself, not wanting him to feel obliged to cater to me throughout the night. "Well, there's a roller coaster over there, a kissing booth, aaand oh! A shooting range." He pointed out each attraction. I placed my hand on my stomach, feeling a twinge of nausea.
"Are you alright? You look a bit pale." He placed his hand on my forehead and then crouched down to meet my gaze.
"I'm fine, just not up for a roller coaster ride unless you want to witness my dinner making a grand exit." I chuckled softly. He joined in the laughter and guided me toward the shooting range. I tried to push thoughts of our skin touching out of my mind, but I could still feel the lingering sensation where he touched my forehead, as if his fingerprints were etched on my skin, burning bright like a visible mark.

"Do you want me to show you how it's done?" He reached for a gun, a playful glint in his eyes.
"I may be clumsy, but I can outshine you any day of the week." I smiled, grabbing a gun of my own. His expression shifted to one of impressed surprise as he raised the gun to his eye, taking aim. While I had never fired a real gun before, I had once stumbled upon a rusty old BB gun while walking to the lake. Knowing my parents would never approve, I kept it hidden under the house in a secret spot, taking it out for some outdoor fun whenever I had the chance.

Mason squeezed the trigger multiple times, each shot causing his muscles to tense under his skin, heightening my pulse. One by one, he took down all but one can, raising his fists in victorious celebration. He looked incredibly attractive when he was happy. Gesturing for me to take my turn, I focused on my aim, determined not to let his gaze distract me. Taking a deep breath, I exhaled and fired, knocking down the first can, then the second, until the final one clattered to the ground. Relief washed over me, and I glanced at Mason, who stood there with his mouth wide open, clearly astonished. He approached me, lifting me up by the waist and spinning me around.

"Right here, I've got the real Lara Croft, ladies and gentlemen!" I laughed as he gently placed me back on the ground. His Lara Croft? Did that mean I belonged to him?

"You're such a badass!" He playfully nudged my shoulder.
"Where did you learn to shoot like that?" he inquired, grabbing a small stuffed tiger from a nearby vendor.

"Well, I..." I started to answer, but my words trailed off as I caught sight of a man with grey hair lurking behind some balloons a few vendors away. My throat constricted, and my mind went blank. Reacting on instinct, I grabbed Mason's forearms and pulled him into a tight hug, spinning us around until he faced the balloons. His arms held firmly around my waist, his breath caressed my neck, sending shivers down my spine. Lost in the moment, it took a while for me to remember the reason behind my sudden embrace.

"Mase, can you do me a favour and discreetly look over by that cluster of balloons a few stalls down?" I whispered, feeling his lips brush against my neck, leaving a trail of short, soft kisses. A low rumble reverberated against my skin, and I fought to maintain my composure. He smelled utterly intoxicating, making it difficult for my heart to keep its calm rhythm.
"There's an older guy in black with grey hair. He's just standing there, watching, but trying to stay hidden... Do you know him?" Mason brushed my hair behind my ear before pulling away, leaving a sudden chill in the space where his warm body had been.

"Yeah... he's my dad," I muttered quietly, dread settled like a heavy stone in the pit of my stomach

 he's my dad," I muttered quietly, dread settled like a heavy stone in the pit of my stomach