Chapter 23

There I stood, my eyes fixed on the phone that lay across the room. The minutes ticked away as I paced back and forth in the kitchen, feeling like a fool. My parents had a way of casting doubt on everything, making me question myself at every turn.

"Call them, babe. I'll be right here. You can put it on speakerphone if it helps," she said, handing me the phone. I took a deep breath and dialled my home number. Placing the phone on the counter, I put it on loudspeaker, my hands trembling too much to hold it steady. The phone rang several times before my father's voice echoed through the line.

"Hello?" he answered.

"Hey, Dad... It's me," I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Carol? Hold on a moment." There was shuffling and muffled voices as the phone changed hands.

"Hello, Carol speaking," my mother's voice filled the air.

"Hi, Mum. I just wanted to call and tell you about college," I began, trying to squeeze in as many words as I could before she shut me out entirely.

"We don't want to hear about college. We don't want to speak with you. You stress your father out so much, you're making him sick," she accused, her tone sharp.

"I just wanted to share how well I'm doing in my classes, and I even have a job now, Mum. I'm working hard and supporting myself. The college has arranged a family fair weekend, and I thought maybe..." I trailed off, my hopes hanging in the air.

"I don't want to hear it, Quinn," she interrupted abruptly. My eyes stung with unshed tears, but I refused to give up. I crossed my arms tightly, trying to steady my shaking hands as I prepared to speak again, but Lexi intervened.

"Hi, Mrs. Eden. I'm Quinn's friend, Lexi. We wanted to invite you and Mr. Eden to the family fair weekend on the 14th of March," Lexi interjected with poise, sliding the phone a little closer to her.

"Well, with all due respect, Lexi, this is a private conversation," my mother retorted, her sassy nature still intact.

"I'm sorry for intruding, but I truly believe it would be wonderful for you to see her progress. It's a great way to support your daughter's life changes," Lexi persisted confidently. The line fell silent for what felt like an eternity. Hope flickered within me. Maybe they could find it in themselves to forgive me. Maybe I had done something right at last.

My mother cleared her throat, and her voice broke the silence.
"We have no daughter," she spat, and then the disconnection tone rung out through our dorm. A numbing sensation washed over me, and a pressure built up in my head. A burning sensation spread from my throat down to my churning stomach.

Lexi placed a comforting hand on my upper back, lowering herself to meet my gaze.
"Are you okay? Do you need a hug?" she asked, concern etched on her face. I looked away, nodding faintly. I allowed her to embrace me for a moment before pulling away.

"Thanks, Lex. I couldn't have done it without you," I murmured, my gaze fixated on the floor.

"I'm just going to go for a run, clear my head, you know?" I stated, making my way to the door. She handed me my phone before I departed, concern evident in her expression.

"At least take your phone so I know you're safe," she said, her voice tinged with worry.

"I'll be back soon, don't worry," I reassured her quietly, closing the door behind me.

As the door clicked shut, emotions overwhelmed me like a tidal wave. I sprinted down the hallways and burst outside into the crisp night air. I didn't have a specific destination in mind; I simply let my feet carry me away. I ran with all my might, my chest ablaze, tears streaming down my cheeks, smudging my makeup.

When I passed Jim's tavern, he stood outside, leaning against the beam with a cigarette in hand. I halted my run, gasping for breath, tears continuing to flow freely.

"Hey, firecracker, what are you running from? Are you okay?" he asked, his voice laced with genuine concern. I stood there, chest heaving, struggling to fill my lungs with air.

"I... I'm just running... just... running," I managed to say between breaths. The tears persisted, staining my cheeks.

"You can't outrun your problems, darlin'," he remarked, flicking his cigarette to the ground. Deep down, I knew he was right—my problems followed me like an unshakeable shadow. The thought only pushed me over the edge, and I buried my face in my hands.

"Come on in, sweet pea. Let me fix you a cup," Jim offered, placing his arm around me and guiding me inside the tavern.

"I didn't mean to end up here. It's just where I ended up. I'm sorry," I apologized, sniffling intermittently.

"Nonsense, child. No need to apologize. Life has a way of providing what we need when we need it," he assured me, pouring a cup of tea.

"Now, you don't have to tell me what's going on, but I'm here to listen if you want to share," he offered.

"My parents... they hate me," I confessed, my gaze fixed on the steaming cup in front of me. I felt drained, emotionally spent.

"I'm sure they don't hate you. But if they can't see what they've got, they don't deserve to witness you at your finest," Jim said, a gentle smile gracing his lips as he took a sip from his own mug.

"You'd make a great dad, Jimmy," I remarked, absentmindedly tracing my finger along the rim of my cup. He let out a weary laugh.

"Well, I can't have kids of my own, but that setback opened my heart to kids like Mason. I teach them everything I know, love them as if they were my own," Jim shared, a tinge of sadness evident in his eyes. My heart ached for him, yet my admiration for him grew.

"You're an extraordinary man, Jim. The world needs more people like you."

The pain in my heart from being rejected by the very people who were supposed to love me unconditionally, and the ache in my head from the constant overthinking, weighed heavily on me. Leaning my elbows on the bar, I rubbed my temples.

"Do you want to try out the new addition?" Jim pointed toward the stage, where a gorgeous black grand piano stood. Music had always been my refuge.

"Really? You don't mind?" I inquired, my eyes fixed on the magnificent instrument.

"Go ahead, love. She's all yours. I'll be out back if you need me. Got a new shipment today," he replied, patting my head before making his exit.

"Thank you, Jimmy... for everything," I called after him.

"Anytime, Firecracker," he chuckled, disappearing from sight. A warmth spread through me, starting from where he had patted my head, reaching my lips in the form of a small smile.

 A warmth spread through me, starting from where he had patted my head, reaching my lips in the form of a small smile