Chapter 20

For several days, I remained in the dorms, trying to recuperate on the couch and attending to homework whenever I felt up to it. Each time I woke up, I made sure to express my gratitude to Lexi for being there for me. I would prepare breakfast for her before she left for classes and even took care of her laundry like the suck-up I tended to be.

Shower time, however, was a dreaded affair. Confronting the marks left on my body served as a harsh reminder of the reality I had gotten myself into. Thick handprints covered my arms, while fingerprint bruises marred my stomach. The most distressing were the marks on my thighs. The clear, welted handprint on my inner right thigh told the story of just how close he had come to accomplishing his vile intentions. As I softly washed over the marks, my thoughts drifted to Mason, grateful that he had entered my life. I focused on keeping my breathing steady, making myself stand tall in the face of surviving an asshole like Chris.

I refused to shed a single tear for what he had done. Yes, I may be a victim, but I refused to act like one.

Once I felt clean enough, I hurried out of the shower and dressed within minutes, eager to avoid looking at myself any longer. Out of sight, out of mind... for now. I tucked my tiger-patterned blanket snugly around me on the couch, ensuring everything I needed was within reach. Between working on my assignments, I searched for more job opportunities, but to no avail. The previous job had left me apprehensive about cold calling strangers.

Having just finished my English essay, Lexi burst through the door after another day of lectures. She carried a satchel overflowing with books and a handful of papers. I stood up from the couch to help her.

"Your assignments are in my hands, Quinnie. The rest is all mine. Lucky me," she twirled her finger in the air sarcastically.

"Thanks, Lex. You're a lifesaver. What did you end up telling the teachers when you collected my work for me?" I asked, curious.

"Well, it wasn't actually me who went to your teachers to grab your assignments. Mason did," she revealed, turning around after unloading her satchel.

"But why would he do that? He's only in two of my classes," I wondered, pouring myself a cup of hot tea.

"I told you, he's sweet on you! He hasn't even looked at another girl since... well, since you guys started getting friendly," she said with a sly grin and a playful shoulder shimmy.

"Come on, Lex, let's be real here," I scoffed, dismissing her teasing with a wave of my hand. "He's way out of my league, and besides, I barely know him. A few casual conversations don't exactly equate to true love. If anything it's lust at first sight" I let myself indulge in the thought for a brief moment, savouring the possibility, before shaking it off with a sigh.

I flicked through the papers on the bench that Lexi had brought home. English and Music.

"Lex, what day is it?!" I choked on my tea, coughing and spluttering.

"It's Thursday, why?" she asked, her mouth full of a ham and cheese croissant.

"I've been home for almost a week?! How is that even possible?! I have a music assessment tomorrow!" I exclaimed, tossing my tea into the sink and starting to race around, grabbing my phone and laptop from the couch.

"Yeah, you slept for a good portion of it, babe. Don't beat yourself up about it. What do you need to do for the assessment?" she asked, helping me gather my papers into a neat pile.

"I have to do a duet... with Mason. But I haven't even practiced!" I began to hyperventilate.

I didn't want to mess up in front of the whole class and risk jeopardizing my grades. But most importantly, I didn't want to disappoint him.