Chapter 43

Jim's re-opening exceeded all expectations, tripling his average night sales within hours. His radiant smile spoke volumes as he locked the doors for the night, basking in the triumph of his success.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lexi, Zach, Mason, and I collapsed onto the couches in the living room upon returning home around midnight. Exhausted, we sought refuge in the comfort of the cushions. Lexi nestled her legs over Zach's lap while he aimlessly flipped through TV channels. Meanwhile, Mason perched on the arm of the couch, appearing as though he was ready to make an escape. Sensing the urge to retreat myself, especially with an early doctor's appointment awaiting me, I contemplated wishing them all goodnight. The allure of sleep grew stronger by the minute. 

"I'm heading to bed, guys. See you in the morning," I said, embracing Lexi, who planted a tired kiss on my cheek. Her eyes betrayed her weariness, yet she made an effort to stay awake for Zach's sake.

Just as I turned to walk towards the double doors leading to the pool house, Zach interjected, his voice tinged with playful melancholy.
"What about me, sis? You're practically family as Lexi's chick friend. I deserve a hug too." He opened his arms in mock desolation. Hugging anyone other than Lexi or Mason felt awkward to me, but I supposed he had a point.

Reluctantly, I shuffled over to Zach and gave him a light, hesitant hug.
"I'm planning a surprise birthday for Lexi in a couple of weeks. We'll talk about it soon," he whispered in my ear, while Lexi showered Mason with adoration for his romantic performance. I nodded discreetly, allowing a faint smile to creep onto my face. Zach was the ideal partner for Lexi, treating her like a prince after she had encountered her fair share of frogs. Finally, she had found her prince charming. I approved.

Walking out through the doors, uncertain of whether I should embrace Mason, I decided against it. Giving him a hug might have led him on, despite every fiber of my being yearning to throw myself into his arms and press my lips against his, just as we had the morning before. I was internally conflicted.

"Hey, wait up!" Mason called breathlessly, jogging from the lounge room to catch up with me. I halted and waited for him to reach me.

Grant me the strength to resist him. He embodies everything I've ever wanted in a friend... in a lover... I can't risk hurting him.

"Are you sure you're okay, Quinn? You left pretty quickly after the song. I know I made you uncomfortable, and I'm sorry," he babbled, clearly nervous. I waved my hand dismissively and settled by the edge of the pool.

"No, Mase, I'm fine. The song was beautiful... I just can't go there right now. Believe me, I want to, but... I..." My voice quietened as I searched for the right words, ones that wouldn't harm him but wouldn't lead him astray either.

"It's okay, Quinn. You don't have to explain. I can wait until you're ready. I just wanted to show you how much you mean to me... sleep on it, okay?" He gently rubbed circles on my back, sending shivers of longing through me. All I could manage was a nod. Words eluded me.

Mason rose from the poolside and padded back into the main house. I lingered by the pool a while longer, gazing up at the twinkling stars.

A fierce battle waged within me. My mind urged caution, steering clear of Mason and preserving our friendship, maybe even less, to protect him from the depths of my being. Yet, my heart ached for him, yearning for all of him. Presently, I was grateful that he still spoke to me at all.

How had he managed to entwine himself so deeply within my heart?