Chapter 19

In my dreams, songs sung by a heavenly masculine voice, echoed in my mind. Some of the lyrics got stuck, playing on repeat and floating around in my dreams like a sweet, addictive melody.

One, you're like a dream come true
Two, just wanna be with you
Three, girl, It's plain to see
That you're the only one for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I caught glimpses of Lexi and Zach embracing through the blur of my vision, but mostly, my dreams were consumed by Mason. He appeared as a swirling blend of darkness, ink-like patterns his strong and comforting arms around me. Wet strands of hair dripped raindrops onto his thick eyelashes, framing his intense sea blue eyes that seemed to set my soul ablaze.

"... I try not to get attached to anyone because I just don't think I can bear losing any one else important in my life... but I just can't seem to let you go," Mason's voice penetrated my consciousness as I slowly drifted back to reality. My eyes fluttered open, struggling against the brightness of the room. I wiggled my fingers, attempting to ground myself, and felt his warm hand squeezing mine. I turned my head, squinting slightly.

"Hey, you," I strained, realizing that I was wearing a dry pair of gloves and a long-sleeved top underneath my hospital gown. Lexi must have dressed me once the doctors sent me to recovery. A faint smile tugged at the corners of my lips as I relaxed into the discomfort of the hard pillows.

"Thank you for staying with me, Mase. You didn't have to," I whispered, my voice filled with gratitude. Holding Mason's hand felt surprisingly natural, despite my usual aversion to physical contact. The touch of his skin against mine brought a soothing sensation, even if it was just our fingers intertwined.

"I couldn't leave you," he replied, setting his guitar down on the seat beside him. So it was him singing those songs that had drifted through my dreams.

"How did you find me?" I asked, slowly shifting onto my side, my head pounding with each heartbeat.

"When Zach finished at the keg stand, I realized you were nowhere in sight. Zach and Lexi went back to the car to check if you were there, and I searched the house," Mason explained, cracking his neck and pulling the blue plastic seat closer to the bed.

"I tried calling you, but there was no service, so I walked around the property, calling out for you," he continued, closing his eyes and clenching his fists, his knuckles turning white.

"...then I found a phone on the ground and realized it was yours when I turned it over and read the message," he trailed off, shaking his head and clearing his throat. I reached out and playfully flicked fictional oil into his armpit, finding it difficult to maintain my walls at this point, especially with Mason.

"Loosey goosey, remember?" I chuckled quietly, feeling the weight of lethargy. He smiled wearily, yet his smile still made my stomach flutter. I wanted to be strong for him, for myself.

"I've taught you well, young padawan." he replied, running his hand through his now dry hair and rubbing the back of his neck. I watched him expectantly, sensing that he had something to say.

"Quinn... do you remember anything from last night?" His gaze searched mine, a slight crease on his forehead.

"Well, I remember falling over because my knees are aching," I recalled, attempting to search for more memories, looking up at the ceiling as if they held the answers.