Chapter 11

Even in such a short span of time, I found myself belonging to a lunch table now. It still felt strange to sit and eat amidst these people, knowing they considered me their "friend." Real friends, however, were privy to each other's deepest secrets, and I wasn't quite ready to open up the Pandora's box of my life just yet.

"Oh em gee, Quinnie, tonight's going to be epic! Zach said he can pick us up at 5, so I was thinking of ditching last period to get ready. Wanna join me?" Lexi asked, her eyes widening as she nodded enthusiastically, as if trying to convince me.
"Sure, Lex. Maybe you can be my stylist for tonight. Chris told me to wear something revealing but tasteful, whatever that means," I replied, shaking my head in confusion. For me, "revealing" meant wearing a shirt that showed a hint of collarbone.
"Okay, deal, but on one condition..." Lexi didn't even wait for me to inquire before continuing.
"I get to do your hair and makeup too." She gestured, palming the air and then closing her hand into a determined fist, as if she had just snatched the responsibility of being our gig stylist from thin air. I laughed, running my hand through my hair while silently dreading that she would dress me up in something that made me feel highly self conscious.

Zach and Mason were engrossed in conversation with a couple of guys from the basketball team at the edge of the table. Mason hadn't spoken to me since our music class, so I was fairly certain he knew I felt uncomfortable about our song choice for the exams. I didn't dare confide in Lexi, as that would unravel a whole can of worms I didn't want to discuss in front of everyone. It was embarrassing enough that I had to perform it in front of thirty-plus music students.

Lexi caught me gazing over at the boys, lost in thought.
"Wanna play hookie now? It'll give us more time to ensure we look absolutely irresistible for our men," she suggested, taking a bite of her celery stick while her eyes remained fixed on Zach, her head resting on one hand.
"He's not my man, Lex." I retorted, playfully kicking the leg of her seat. She managed to catch her balance before her ass hit the ground, bursting into laughter while attempting to feign surprise. She stood up, leaning closer to my ear.
"Don't worry, it's all part of the process. First denial, then anger..." she jested, sweeping her foot under my chair and pushing it toward the neighboring table. I remained poised, as if still sitting on an invisible chair, wearing a smirk on my face. By now, I was well acquainted with her games and had become adept at evading her latest attacks. We had grown incredibly close in such a short time.

At this point, everyone at our table was in hysterics, clutching their stomachs with laughter. Lexi stood with her hands on her hips, joining in the amusement. I glanced over at Mason one last time before Lexi and I headed toward the exit. He leaned back on the rear legs of his chair, hands clasped behind his head, flashing that infectiously captivating smile at me. I raised five fingers, silently communicating,
"See you at five," and he responded by mimicking a gun with his fingers, winking. I shouldn't have enjoyed the way it made me feel, but I did. Immensely.

From a distance, I noticed that Mason hadn't been locking lips with any girls today, let alone interacting with one, except for me. I should have felt flattered, but there was something undeniably different about his demeanour.