Chapter 3 - The wise and not so wise

"Badger!" Yelled Cherryjaw.

Whitepaw stood there, frozen in fear, as he watched the Badger slam his massive paws down. Just before the badger crushes Ravenpaw, she dashes out of the way and runs towards her mentor, Nightshine. 

Nightshine said something to her, but Whitepaw didn't hear. Ravenpaw nodded, and dashed of nervously. She must be going to warn others. Whitepaw thought. 

"Run!" Shouted Cherryjaw. "Uh...." Started Whitepaw. Cherryjaw snorted "Now!" 

Nightshine was first to dash up a nearby tree. Cherryjaw scrambled up a birch tree next to Nightshine's. Whitepaw ran up to the base of the tree his mentor was in and tried to scramble up. The bark is to hard! Thought Whitepaw anxiously. Cherryjaw yolwed something from were he sat on a tree branch, but the sound was masked by loud thumping. It was getting closer!

"Go to the tree with Nightshine on it!" 

"Darkstripe?" White mewed.

"Go!" Yowled Darkstripe.

Whitepaw ran to the tree Nightshine was on. He dug his claws into the softer bark, and scrambled up. He found a branch just below Nightshine, but high enough so that the badger couldn't reach him.

Just as he got on the branch, the tree shook. He looked down to see the badger, growling at him. "That was close" he said to himself. 

"To close."

Whitepaw jumped, almost falling of his branch. Startled, he look beside him to see, Darkstripe. But instead of relief on his face, there was annoyance. What is he doing here? Whitepaw thought.

"You froze out there. You could have died." Meowed Darkstripe. His tone seemed careless. His Amber gaze bore down on Whitepaw.

"What were you thinking? You should have...?" Meowed Darkstripe, quizzically. "Uh....I should've...fought the badger?" 

"No, you mousebrain!" Darkstripe scowled. "You should have been the first one to respond! Be quick thinking. Instead you froze! You did nothing!" 

"I...uh...why not fight the bagder...uh...sir?" Whitepaw asked nervously. I'm not sure if I like this cat.

Darkstripe scowled again, then rolled his eyes. His tone became softer. "Because, if you fought the badger, you would have no chance. Did you think that you, a beginner apprentice, would defeat a badger?" 

"Uh..." Whitepaw started. "Be wiser next time." Darkstripe Meowed, then faded away, like dust blown by the wind.

Whitepaw sighed. Should he trust Darkstripe? He gave some good tips, but was very harsh. I'll do what I have to, to become a great warrior.