Chapter 11 - The assessment

The picture that goes with this kinda of looks like Moonpaw, but Moonpaw is younger. and has blue eyes. I hope you like it!

"Whitepaw! It's time for our assessment! C'mon!" Moonpaw yipped. She was pratically jumping. 

"Alright, alright. Don't get your fur in a bundle!" Whitepaw meowed. Despite his tone, he was really excited too. A couple moons ago, Whitepaw had seen Darkstripe again. But in the shadows. It creeped him out a lot.

"Alright, let's go." Stormpelt meowed. He headed out of the clearing and Whitepaw and Moonpaw followed.

"Where's Graywing?" Asked Whitepaw looking around.

"She is helping Flowerbreeze with something." Mooonpaw responded.

Whitepaw understood. Flowerbreeze, the medicine cat, is Graywings sister. Whitepaw nodded and they kept walking until they reached the peaks. The peaks were a bunch of very tall stones. The were to tall to jump onto and too smooth to climb. They cast shadows that lumbered over the cats.

"I'm here!" Called a cat from behind Whitepaw. Whitepaw turned around to see Graywing racing to catch up with them.

"Hi." Meowed Stormpelt, a bit to cheerfully.

"Hey." Meowed Graywing.

"I think they like eachother." Whispered Moonpaw. Moonpaw was right. They looked at each other with a loving glance. Graywing shook her head. "Alright. I will watch Moonpaw and Stormpelt will watch Whitepaw." She mewed.

"Catch as many prey as you can, and as many selections of prey. Good luck!" Meowed Stormpelt. Whitepaw dashed into the dense woods and nearly stumbled over a shrew. He caught it and killed it with a swift bite. Whitepaw dug up some dirt onto it and kept moving. I'll get it later. He decided.

As he kept going, he saw an amber glare in the bushes. Whitepaw stopped and looked closer. He saw a scrawny shape hunched over. Whitepaw widened his eyes and he backed away. He squealed when he bumped into a dark musky shape behind him. 

"I am watching you." Darkstripe whispered, and his sent whisked away. 

*        *        *

Whitepaw had managed to catch two mice, one squirrel, a pigeon and the mouse he had caught earlier. He could barely hold everything all in his mouth. When he arrived at the peaks, nobody was there. Whitepaw dropped the prey when he heard yowling in the background. He ran to the sound that led him toward the big pond that connected Treeclan and Waterclan. 

"Help!" Yelled a cat. 

"Moonpaw!" Whitepaw yelled outloud. He ran to the edge of the pond wher his and Moonpaws mentors were. In the lake was Moonpaw struggling in the water. The wind had picked up earlier, so it must have been hard to swim. Whitepaw crouched, ready to spring in the water, when Graywing jumped in.

She pulled her out and lay her down on the grass. "Moonpaw? Are you okay?" Whitepaw mewed. Moonpaw coughed up water and her breathing slowed down.

"Please be okay!" Whitepaw wailed.

"I-It's okay Whitepaw." She mewed. "I wanted my warrior name to be Moonshine." She mewed again.

"A-and it will! Please! Stay with me!" Whitepaw layed his fore paws on her wet flank. Graywing touched her tail to his flank. "Do something!" Yelled Whitepaw.

"There is nothing we can do." Meowed Stormpelt with his head down.

"Whitepaw?" She mewed, her voice getting more raspy.

"Yes?"

"I-I love you." She rasped, as her breathing stopped. "No! You can't be dead! Not now! Y-you-you were going to-to be a warrior with me!" He wailed. His head was on her flank now, her temperature getting colder. "I-I never got to say goodbye." He mewed sadly.

"Let's go." Graywing sighed and she helped pick up Moonpaws body.

When the cats entered the camp with Moonpaws body, all the cats ran up shocked. Fernheart ran up to Whitepaw. "What happened?" She was cut off when she saw his sisters body. Her eyes became sad and greif stricken. "No...no this can't be..." She trailed of. Whitepaw touched her flank with his. 

My mother, father and now my sister are all gone.