Chapter 9 - Gathering

It has been two moons since Ravenpaw changed. Whitepaw wasn't sure what happened to her, aside from her being a bit more rude. At times, Whitepaw would wake up, to Ravenpaw having a bad nightmare. She had them a lot.

"Got it!" Whitepaw mewed proudly. A plump mouse was hanging from his jaws. 

"It's just a lazy fat mouse. A kit could have caught that!" Teased Moonpaw.

"Oh yeah?" Whitepaw pounced on Moonpaw, and they tackled playfully.

"Enough! What do you think you are? Kits?" Meowed Graywing, Moonpaws mentor. "Now, bury that mouse, and we will pick it up later." 

Stormpelt purred with amusement. "Apprentices." He mused, and started walking.

Whitepaw dug up his catch, and followed his mentor. Whitepaw was the best hunter, out of all the apprentices. And the best fighter. He never bragged about it, but he was very proud of himself.

When they headed back to camp, Whitepaw had manged to catch another mouse, Stormpelt caught two squirrels, and Graywing caught a rabbit.

"Nice catch." Lilypelt nodded to the patrol. Moonpaw held her head down. "Don't worry, you'll get it next time!" Whitepaw meowed, trying to cheer up his sister. But she just sighed.

"I'll never be as good as you!" She sighed.

Whitepaw opened his mouth to reply, when Stormpelt walked up to him. "Your going to be going to the gathering tonight. Both of you." He meowed. 

"Yay! Moonpaw, we get to go to the gathering!" He meowed excitedly.

Whitepaw couldn't go to the gathering last moon because he was sick with whitecough. He couldn't go two moons ago because the clouds covered the moon.

Whitepaw yipped with joy, and so did his sister.

*        *        *

The moon glistened and the stars twinkled as all the Treeclan cats gathered at the entrance. Redstar flicked his tail, motioning for them to follow. They headed Down the slope. 

Whitepaws eyes widened when he saw an odd tree. It was very tall and the leaves of the tree draped down, almost touching the ground. But the leaves all seemed to be attached to some sort of vine connected to the tree.

"Wow! It's so beautiful!" Whitepaw gasped. 

"It's called the Draping Oak" Stormpelt meowed beside him.

When they reached the Draping Oak, Whitepaw could smell a lot of other cats. He could detect Rockclans' and Waterclans' scent, but a different scent was mingled with them.

"Um...What is the other clan called again?" Whitepaw asked. 

Moonpaw ran up to him. "Grassclan." She mewed. "I guess they live in the moors, behond the Draping Oak." She meowed.

Whitepaw shivered. "Who would want to live out in the open, with no trees or undergrowth?" 

They walked under the Draping Oak. He was suprised how much light got under the tree. But he looked up and saw that there was a gap in the leaves, letting moonlight shine on four rocks just below the tree.

Stormpelt nudged him. "Go meet new cats! But remember, small talk, don't give away anything that may make our clan seem weak." He gave Whitepaw a serious glare. Whitepaw nodded his head and headed over to a grassclan cat.

"Um...hi. I'm Whitepaw." The brown and dappled she-cat looked at him and grinned.

"Hi. I'm Lightdapple. Are you new here?" She asked.

"Uh...yeah." He said.

"Mudpaw! Come here!" She meowed. A brown and dark brown tabby prodded up to her. 

"This is Mudpaw. Mudpaw, this is Whitepaw." Lightdapple meowed.

"Hi!" Whitepaw mewed, happy to be talking with a cat his age.

"Hi! I'm Mudpaw! But you already knew that. Woah, thats cool how you have one white leg! So are you from Treeclan?" He yipped. 

Whitepaw opened his mouth to answer whe he said. "Wait nevermind. I didn't need to ask you that! I can scent Treelan all over you! Hey, geuss what-"

"Shhhh! The meeting is about to start!" Lightdapple hissed. Then she licked her white paw.

The clan leaders all jumped up to there own rock. Redstar was on the second last one the the right.

Mousestar-Waterclans leader- was on the rock farthest to the left. His light brown coat shimmered.

Ashstar-Rockclans leader- was on the rock farthest to the right. Next to Redstar. His gray speckled pelt was sleeked back. It must be windy in Rockclan.

Whitepaw guessed the cat on the second last rock farthest to the left was, Foxstar. Her redish brown fur, and black tail and muzzle made her look a bit like a fox.

The clan leaders nodded to each other and Redstar stood up from his rock.

"Treeclan is thriving this newleaf. We have five new apprentices! Moonpaw, Mousepaw, Stonepaw, Ravenpaw and Whitepaw!" Treeclan called out there new names and the other clans joined in. Whitepaw shrunk with embarrassment.

Redstar waited for the chattering to die down. "And we have a new warrior, Softwing!" Whitepaw looked over at him. His cream clored pelt shimmered as he stood there with pride. Softwing became a warrior two moons ago, but he couldn't go to the gathering last moon because he had whitecough.

Redstar sat down and let the other clan leaders speak. They all said things like "Our clan has plenty of prey." or, "We have a new apprentice/warrior!" 

At the end of the meeting, Mudpaw walked over to him and meowed, "nice meeting you!" and he walked away.

They walked into the forest, and Whitepaw saw Ravenpaw looking at a tree. Then he realized, he hadn't really noticed Ravenpaw at the gathering. She kind of isolated herself from every cat.

Suddenly, the tree Ravenpaw as looking at tumbled down and hit the ground with a crack! But a cat was under it. A bulky cat with a reddish pelt.

 Redstar!