Chapter 4 - Badger

"Get a patrol!" Nightshine whispered to Ravenpaw. Ravenpaw nodded and ran as fast as her feet would take her. That...badger. It was huge! It almost killed me! She thought back, when she turned around and saw the massive beast. It was almost like time slowed down. She could almost feel the hot breath of the the beast, as it almost slammed down on her. But she managed to escape, just in time.

She saw the dense bramle wall of the camp, and dashed through the entrance. "Redstar! Redstar!" She yowled as she came into the camp, panting. Startled cats came out of there dens. Flowerbreeze, the medicine cat, came out of her den in the ground. The den was a hole in the ground with a huge rock on top, to make a roof. There is a short tunnel to get in and out. 

Ravenpaw was in The medicine den once. She had whitecough when she was little. She remembers the small hole in the rock, that let sunshine come in, and the little holes dug into the walls, where the foul smelling herbs where stored.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Ravenpaw whipped around and saw Lilyheart, their deputy. "There...is-is a-a badger!" Ravenpaw stammered. 

"Badger? where?" Asked Lilyheart sternly.

"At the uh...The sunning fields!" 

"Moonclaw! Graywing! Stormpelt! Cloudpelt! Go to the sunning fields. There is a badger!"

Before she knew it, the cats ran out of the camp. Starting with Moonclaw, ending with Stormpelt. Ravenpaw started to dash off, when a paw stopped her. She turned around and saw Lilypelt. "Your not going anywhere."

"why?"

"Because you had no training yet. You can do better here, to clean the elders den."

"What! But I need to help my clanmates!" Ravenpaw argued.

"No. And I mean it. Now go collect some moss. You could listen to some of the elders stories." At that, Lilypad walked to the freshkill pile and chose a squirrel.

Ravenpaw grunted and walked out of the camp. I need to help my clanmates! Why can't I go? She thought as she clawed up some moss from a tree root. Or at least check it out. She thought. She dropped her moss, and sniffed the air. She could just look for the patrol, and watch the fight, right?

Aha! She found the scent trail, and followed it. She heard voices. "Stay low. There could be more badgers around." The patrol! She thought. Ravenpaw hid behind a bush, hoping that she wouldn't get caught. 

"Alright, let's head up." Meowed Moonclaw. They headed up the slope, that revealed the sunning field. Once they where out of view, Ravenpaw went to a part of the slope, that had more bushes. She crawled up, making a lot of noise. Oh Starclan, please let them not hear me! She thought, but lucky for her, they didn't notice her. Few! 

At the top of the slope, she was still covered by bushes so that nobody would see her. Then, quick as lightning, Cloufur ran at the badger, and bit down on his tail. Just as quickly, Moonclaw dashed to the badger and clawed its' muzzle. Then, the rest of the patrol was on top of the badger, as well as Cherryjaw, and Nightshine. 

Wow! I've never seen warriors fight before! Someday, I'm going be a warrior just as good as them! Ravenpaw was taken out of her thoughts by a small squeal. She spun her head around and saw three helpless bodies of black and white fur. They were about as big as her. Badger kits! Oh no! There mother is being killed, and they will have know one to care for them! She suddenly felt pity for them. Then she thought of Whitepaw. He had no parents anymore. But he has his clanThese helpless kits don't.

Without thinking, Ravenpaw jumped out of the bushes. "Stop! This Badger is a mother! You can't let it's kits die alone and afraid." 

"Ravenpaw! Go back to the camp!" Started Cherryjaw. But he was cut off by the badger's paws slamming down on his spine, with a deafening crack. Then Stormpelt bit the badgers leg. The badger yelped and limped off towards the direction of her kits.

Whitepaw, who was in a tall oak tree, jumped down. His face was anxoius. "Ch-Cherryjaw? Wake up!" Whitepaw pawed his motionless mentor. 

"Whitepaw," Meowed Nightshine sadly. "Cherryjaw, is dead."

Thanks for reading! Sorry again, for this being pretty long. I promise I WILL write a couple of short chapters!