julian blackthorn : for yourself

( Y/N) was a Shadowhunter, had come to live at the Los Angles Institute less than four months ago. Like Cristina she had come to LA for her year of study away from home. She had lived in Idris, the Shadowhunter Capital, her entire life.

"Hey (Y/N)!" Called a familiar voice from down the hall. She turned towards the direction her name had been called from, Julian was jogging down the hall towards her.

Julian Blackthorn had welcomed her into his home with open arms, mostly glad there would be someone else around his own age. He had taken her under his wing in showing her how everything ran, how he essentially ran the Institute alone for the past five years.

(Y/N) smiled, closing the door to her room, "Hey Julian." Mentally she scolded herself for sounding so excited to speak to him. "What's up?" She asked, trying to control herself.

(Y/N) had the biggest crush on Julian, maybe it was because he was the only boy she had ever met outside of Idris. Or maybe it was because he was the only boy her age around. Or maybe it was his chocolate curls. Or his blue green eyes. Or the paint that covered most of his clothes. Or how he cared for his siblings.

"I just finished a piece." He said, his eyes lightening to a pale blue as excitement coursed through his veins. Julian was an artist, he used his mothers old painting studio as his own. The small amount of free time he got he spent in the studio painting, beautiful blues and greens to make up the ocean view from one side of the studio.

(Y/N) loved when Julian talked about his artwork, she never saw him happier. "That's great Jul." She said, getting excited for him.

Julian nodded, his hands then clasped behind his neck. He looked like he wanted to say something but wasn't sure if he should. Paint stained both of his hands and his clothes, there was even a streak of silver paint across his cheekbone.

"Let me show you." Julian said, extending an open hand to her.

(Y/N) was taken back. His art was the one thing that Julian was allowed to have for himself, that he didn't need to share with his siblings. Now here he was, offering to show her.

Her mouth hung open, unsure of what to say. Their fingers laced together as she placed her hand in the palm of his, Julian turned and leading her in the direction of his studio. She took note of this moment, Julian's hand clasped with hers as he dragged her away. From under the collar of his shirt showed the top of what seemed to be an Agility rune.

Julian opened the door to the studio, waiting for her to enter border shutting the door behind them. He was always such a gentleman.

(Y/N) stood in awe. She had only been in the room one other time, and it had been on accident while she was looking for Cristina and Emma. On either side of the room was two windows, one facing the ocean and the other facing the hustle and bustle of LA. The wall to (Y/N)'s left was painted blue, will small murals painted by Julian covering it. Opposite was a matching wall and painting but with a black door in the center of it. In the middle of the room was a marble island, painting and sketching scattered across the top.

"This is beautiful Julian." (Y/N) told him, her eyes still wide and scamming the room.

Julian stood perpendicular to her, hands jammed in the pockets of his paint stained jeans. A smile played on his face as he watched her look around, it always made his heart flutter when people complimented his space.

"Thanks." He paused before reaching for her hand again, "Look." Julian pulled her towards and easel that was facing the ocean, a black stool in front of it. "I've been working on this piece for months." He said, his voice now nervous.

(Y/N) stopped before they got to the easel, "Julian." This was his space, the only place that he didn't have to share, she couldn't just intrude. "This is your space." She told him, still uneasy about looking at his work.

Julian smiled, how kind of her to respect his privacy like that. "I want to show you this, I want to share it with you." His eyes sparkled as the light off the ocean hit them.

(Y/N) felt her heart flutter, Julian was a very secretive person so she felt honored that he wanted to share it with her.

She sighed, moving closer to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. "You deserve something for yourself." Her voice was soft, her eyes lingering on his. She would never get over just how beautiful he was.

He smiled again, his eyes flickering between hers and her lips. "Just let me show you." Jules said, his hand brushing hair out of her eyes.

(Y/N) felt like she couldn't breath, how was he still single? He was by far one of the most amazing people she had ever met, how did other people not see that. She followed his lead, rounding the side of the easel to look at the art work that faced the ocean.

She gasped, the painting was beautiful. It was a colorful sketch of her, sitting on the edge of the top of a building. She was dressed from head to toes in black gear, her (Y/C/H) blown in every direction from the coastal breeze coming off the sea. Behind her was the blue ocean waves crashing on the beach. And she was smiling, not looked at whoever would be looking at the painting.

Julian didn't paint people, not normally. She couldn't imagine why, it was a beautiful piece of artwork. He had captured her perfectly. Sitting on a building, with the LA lights to one side of her and the ocean to the other, on patrol was where she was happiest. Everything about it was perfect, the color of her hair, the definition of her face. Everything was perfect.

"Julian this is amazing." She said, she wanted to touch it. She wanted to feel the layers of paint that made up her face.

He smiled, he always felt proud when people complemented his work. Sometimes Julian was embarrassed of his work, because he was never sure if he was good at art.

"When is this from?" (Y/N) couldn't remember when this was from or if it was something that he had made up.

"Do you remember that night we went on patrol and not a single thing happened?" Julian asked, remembering the night vividly himself.

Of course she did, "Yeah." (Y/N) breathed out. They had dat upon the top of a building all night, talking about anything and everything. She told him about what it was like growing up in Idris. He told her about what it was like growing up in LA.

"I realized something that night." Julian said, his voice was breathless. The two were standing side to side, Julian's chest pressed against (Y/N) side. He was watching her look over the painting, he was so relieved she liked it.

(Y/N) looked at him as his tone changed. His eyes were glazing over hers and he had a thoughtful look sat on his features. (Y/N) was thinking about Julian painting her, sweat on his forehead and paint on his hands. His body facing the ocean, his eyes fluttering open and closed as he pictured her sitting on the ledge.

She wanted to ask him what he had realized, but she couldn't think of the words. Words weren't needed, Julian placed both hands on the sides of (Y/N)'s face and placed his lips on hers. His lips were soft, which she wouldn't have guessed seeing as he spent so much time chewing on them. Her hands sunk into his chocolate curls, pulling at the roots. The kiss was desperate, both of them afraid that the other would suddenly vanish.

Eventually they have to pull away, coming up from air. Both of their chest rose and fell, letting air fill their lungs that burned with passion. After months of staring for just a second to long, wondering glances and ghosting touches they had finally kissed.

"Thank you for the painting." She whispered, her hands still playing with the hair on the back of his neck.

Julian smiled, still taking in large breathes. "Thank you for being he perfect muse." His hands traced the frame of her face, running his fingers through her hair.

~~~~~
A/N
Word Count: 1477