jace herondale : we could be

Jace was sitting in the living room when (Y/N) came down the stairs. In his lap he had a book heh as been reading, but now it was slipping from his grasp. He held his breath as his eyes ran over her body.

She wore a skin tight mauve swede skirt with stitching up each side. Under the skirt was black tights, the kind where the tone of her legs was visible from beneath the black. On her feet were small black boots, with just about three inch heels. Her top was skin tight as well, a black long sleeve turtle neck shirt.

Jace could see where she had a knife slid into the top of her boot, along with a couple hid just under her skirt. He was amazed that she was able to his weapons in an outfit like that.

His eyes looked further up the stairs, concern raising in his chest when he didn't see Izzy behind her.

"Hey (Y/N)!" Jace called, jumping to his feet and racing to where she stood.

She turned to look at him, her hair soaring over her shoulder as she did so, "Oh hi Jace." (Y/N) said, shifting her weight from foot to foot. On her face was a large smile, she was always smiling when she looked at Jace.

"Where're you heading off too?" Jace asked, his voice calm as anxiety raised in his chest.

"Oh." (Y/N) answered, feeling slighting awkward for the first time with Jace, "I've got a date." She replied quietly, watching Jace's face fall the second the words left her mouth.

They're friends, and that's all. But the truth was that Jace had been falling in love with her since the day he met her, even more so since she moved in the Institute. Everyone in the Institute could tell, from the way Jace acted. He was no longer running around with girls every given night, instead he would wait to see what (Y/N) was doing. The boy who swore he would never love again, did.

Jace swallowed, "With who?" He asked not that it mattered. No matter who it was the pain in Jace's chest wouldn't go away.

"That guy Declan." (Y/N) told Jace hesitantly, feeling guilty for going out on a date. But she shouldn't need too, Jace spent all of his time with any girl but her. She owed him nothing, she deserved to go on a date with someone who actually wanted her.

For months (Y/N) felt like she had been running in circles with Jace, trying to get him to see how much she like him. They spent countless nights sitting in the library talking about anything and everything under the New York stars.

"That guy Declan." Jace repeated, not entirely believing that she was going on a date with someone else. After a few seconds on staring off into space Jace cleared his throat, "Have a good time, be safe." He told her, running a hand down the side of her face. Jace twisted a strand of her hair in his fingers, before sighing and letting the hair slid out of his fingers.

Before (Y/N) could say anything Jace had started up the stairs, too far up for her to call to him.

***

Jace brought his hand to his sweaty hair, pushing it out of his eyes before he continued to assault the punching bag in front of him. He let out a sharp hiss as his split knuckle made contact with the bag, somehow in his rush to let out aggression Jace had neglected to tape his hands. Now blood crusted his hands but he couldn't stop.

"Jace-" The door to his room burst open, and a familiar voice called his name but suddenly stopped when they entered.

He turned to face the door, he tensed when he saw (Y/N) standing in the doorway with wide eyes. She still looked as stunning as he had seen her hours before, not even a hair out of place.

"Hi." (Y/N) said, closing the door behind her.

Jace grabbed a rag from a table near him, wiping his face before wrapping his hands. He knew that if she saw his hands she would scold him for not taking care of himself, she would be upset with him.

"Hey." Jace smirked, trying to keep himself calm. "How was your date?" Truth was he didn't want to know, the thought of (Y/N) out with another guy - holding hands, laughing, kissing - made him sick to his stomach.

(Y/N) took in a sharp breath. She wasn't sure why she had come running to Jace's room the second she arrived back at the Institute, for some reason she felt like she needed to see him. But maybe that was still her wishful thinking.

When she didn't answer him after a few seconds Jace asked a different question, "Did you kiss him?" He knew it was a dangerous question to ask, he held no right to ask that question but it was burning in the back of his throat.

(Y/N) suddenly became very defensive, "So what if he did?" She asked him, feeling anger now rise in her chest.

Jace sighed, "I'm sorry." He apologized, holding his hands up in defense, "Never mind." Jace said to her, hoping she would forget his question.

She narrowed her eyes at him, "No it's not never mind Jace." Her voice was laced in venom, all the anger towards him she had been holding in now coming out. "You fuck nearly every girl you see, but if I kiss one guy, you throw a fit! We're not even together!" (Y/N) hissed at him. She tossed her hands to the side as she finished yelling, her chest rising and falling heavily.

Jace stared at her, watching heat rise to her face as she screamed at him. He let silence blanket the space between them, studying her demeanor for a moment.

(Y/N) was ready to fight with him, ready to yell, scream and throw things. Her body was tense and shaking as she waited for him to break the silence, since she had already said so much.

Jace crossed the room, hoping that she would strike when he got to close, "We could be." He whispered, his breath fanned her face.

His words were almost lost in the pounding of (Y/N) heart in her chest. She had been so nervous when he advanced her, but now he was standing with his body pressed against hers and telling her what she had wanted to hear for weeks.

(Y/N) shook her head, "Jace." Her voice trailed off, she wasn't sure what she was going to say to him.

He caught hold of her hand, lacing his fingers with hers. "I know you feel this." Jace sounded like he was trying to convince not only her but him too. "Does your heart skips a beat the same way mine does when you walk into the room? Do you hands shake when I come near you the same way mine do?" Jace spoke like he was straight out of a Shakespeare play, his words fit together perfectly.

(Y/N)s chest was tight and her hands were shaking. "Yes." She gasped out, bringing herself closer to Jace's body.

He smiled, all doubt leaving his body before he pulled her closer to him. Jace buried his face in the crook of her neck, the sweat from his chest now pressed against the black fabric of her shirt. His calloused hands lost in her hair, running his fingers through it.

~~~~~~
A/N
Word Count: 1282