jace herondale : scared of

"Hi Jace." (Y/N) called as she stepped into the Training Room. She watched as his shoulders visibly tensed and relaxed seconds later.

He turned around to face her, a half smile-half smirk on his lips. "You're late." Jace said, pointing to the clock with a butterfly knife in hand.

He wasn't lying, the clock was five minutes passed the time that she was supposed to meet him here. Jace had volunteered to help her train, against his will really but he still liked to think he volunteered for it. Alec had practically forced him too train her, seeing as Clary and Izzy were at the Academy bad Alec was traveling the world with Magnus.

"Sorry." She said, setting down her water bottle on the edge of the sparing mat.

Jace nodded, not giving her as much of a hard time as she thought he was going too. He picked up two butterfly knives, then handed them to her without looking up at her. Jace seemed quieter today, instead of cracking jokes or hitting on her he was firm and professional.

(Y/N) didn't say anything about how he was acting, maybe he was having a bad day or something. "So what are we working with today?" She asked, toying with the butterfly knife in her hand.

Jace pressed his lips, as if he was unsure of what he was going to say. The truth was this was the last lesson he wanted to teach her, "We've got to find out what scares you, and try to get over it." He said hesitantly, his hands clenched around the handle of the knife. Jace still wasn't looking at her, his eyes were fixed on the ground.

(Y/N) swallowed, "Okay." She said, shrugging off her top shirt so she was now in a cropped sports top and leggings. "Let's get going, how do we do this?" (Y/N) asked, tightening her hair tie in preparation for training. There was a lump in her throat, her mind racing over scenarios that she knew scared her.

"There's really only a few things we have to test," Jace said, he then cleared his throat and ran his finger tips across the edge of the knife. Seriously, what was his deal?

"Okay, do you want me to just tell you what scares me?" She asked, still entirely clear on what she was supposed to do.

Jace really didn't want to be the one to give her this test. This test often resulted in pain, someone not being able to get over one specific fear. Jace had found the test rather traumatizing when he had taken it as a kid, at least (Y/N) was older so maybe she was better equipped.

He pinched he bridge of his nose, "Yeah we can do that." Jace said, knowing that would be an option that hurt her less, and him.

(Y/N) clapped her hands together, then began pacing the floor of the mat. "Okay um-" She racked her brain, thinking of all the things that made her skin crawl. "I don't like heights I guess, they kind of make me queazy but they don't really scare me." She explained, her eyesores drawing together in concentration.

This wasn't an easy thing, exploring yourself and finding what truly scares you isn't something people do everyday. On top of that it's hard to bare ones soul to others, especially your fears. If people know your fears it gives them power over you.

"And?" Jace asked, his throat tight, with arms crossed. He hated having to pry but heights wasn't good enough.

She sighed, blowing air out of her mouth aggressively, "Kappa Demons, you know the ones that live in the ocean and take unknowing Mundanes?" (Y/N) then brought her hand to her mouth, chewing on her nails. "But that's because I don't like the ocean." Her voice grew quieter and her chest grew tighter.

Jace swallowed, he could see the pain rising on her face but he knew he had to keep asking. He sighed and took a step towards her, "What scares you the most?" Jace asked, his eyes meeting hers for the first time in minutes.

(Y/N) held her breath, "Failing." She said, still picking at her nails. "Failing myself. Failing my parents. Failing you guys." She said, her teeth grinding against each other. 

Jace nodded, he hated seeing the look on her face. She looked like she was either going to throw up of start crying, he wanted neither to happen.

He cleared his throat, "Okay, that's enough." Jace said, not wanting to push her any further. There was a long pause of silence between them, neither one of them sure what they were supposed to say next. "I'm sorry." Jace said, knowing it wouldn't help but felt it necessary.

Now it was (Y/N) who wouldn't look at him. She hated opening up to people, having only been in New York for six months it was hard to create bonds with people.

Silence fell between them, neither Jace or (Y/N) knew what to say next. Jace twisted a butterfly knife in his hands, the blade sliding between each of his fingers. (Y/N) watched him, trying to find anything to say to him. It wasn't like she and Jace didn't talk, usually they joked and hung out together. But now she could think of nothing.

She cleared her throat, drawing his attention, "So tell me, Jace, you've saved the world and your considered the best Shadowhunter of our age, what could possibly scare you?" (Y/N) asked, partially joking and partially curious. Jace was always so brave, putting everyone else before him, risking his life without a second thought. She wondered if he was fearless.

Jace's shoulders tensed again, his hand clenching around the knife in his hand so much that blood drew from his palm. That had been the last thing he had expected her to ask him, and it was a question he wasn't prepared to answer.

He swallowed, looking away from her and then spoke. "You." Jace's voice was surprisingly steady, he would have bet that his voice would have shaken or given out.

(Y/N)'s head whipped to look at him, her eyes wide with shock. "What?" She asked quickly, wanting him to explain what he meant.

Jace didn't say anything, instead he clapped his hand on the back of his neck, eyes fixed on the ground. For the first time in his life Jace didn't have anything to say, he was speechless.

"Jace." (Y/N) said, trying to get his attention again but he still looked at the ground.

He sighed, lifting his eyes to meet hers. She saw something in his eyes that she had never seen before, fear. How ironic, "You scare me." Jace said, taking a step towards her. He seemed to glide across the floor, until he was standing only a foot away from her.

(Y/N) still didn't understand, "Jace you're not making any sense." She said with a shake of her head, "I scare you? What does that even mean?" (Y/N) questioned, her voice raising slightly.

Jace inhales sharply, "You scare me." He repeated, trying to find the right words. Jace took another step towards her, closing the gap between them so his face was only inches from hers. "I've never about anyone the way I feel about you." Jace said, her eyes flickering across hers in order to read her expression. "I'm falling in love with you and that scares me." He explained, his voice breathless.

(Y/N) was stunned, her running over his to see that he was completely serious. She felt light, but that could be from holding her breath for so long. Never had she imagined that Jace would be saying these things to her, in fact she never imagined anytime saying these things to her.

"Jace I-"

"It's fine." He said, pulling away from her.

(Y/N) scrunched her nose, before latching her arm onto his bicep and pulled him back towards her. She slammed her lips onto his, wrapping her other arm around his neck and into his hair.

~~~~~~~~
A/N
Word Count: 1371