magnus bane : you're still here

The doors to the Hub burst open, (Y/N) storming through with her head in a swivel. Eyes of all the Shadowhunters were on her as she tore through the room, but now one dared to speak to her. She wasn't one of them, she was a Warlock, and seemed to have no place in the New York Institute.

"Isabelle!" (Y/N) yelled, gliding across the room towards the middle Lightwood child.

Izzy turned on her heel to greet (Y/N), a smile on her lips.

"Do you know where Magnus is?" She asked, not giving Isabelle time to speak. Her whole body burned as she looked through the room, not catching any sign of the cat-eyed Warlock she called her boyfriend.

Izzy was stunned for a moment, but knew that this wasn't out of character for the high strung Warlock. "I think he's with Alec, in his office." She said, pointing (Y/N) in the direction of the Head of Institute office.

(Y/N) nodded before striding off, but not before turning to shout, "Thank you," back at the black headed Shadowhunter. She slid between multiple Shadowhunters, not bothering to address anyone she knew ur didn't know.

In (Y/N)'s experience most Shadowhunters, apart from the Lightwoods, weren't to keen on making friends with Downworlders. In all her years, about four hundred, she had never been accepted by Shadowhunters until she moved to New York. The Lightwoods - Isabelle, Alec and Jace - were all quick to make friends with she and Magnus.

But now she feared that Magnus spending to much time with them. He was never home, and when he was Magnus was working on something to help the New York Institute. She felt like he was never around anymore.

"Magnus?" She called, making her way towards the office. The door was open and when she rounded the corner there was Alec and Magnus. Alec was standing in the center of the room, arms crossed over his chest and a smile on his face. While Magnus leaned against the desk with his arms into the pockets of his black slacks. "Mag." (Y/N) said as she knocked on the door to Alec's office.

Her voice grabbed both Alec and Magnus' attention, their heads snapping in her direction.

"(Y/N), what are you doing here?" He asked sweetly, pushing himself off the desk. Magnus crossed the room to her, attempting to grab hold of her hand.

She pulled her hand back quickly, "What time is it Magnus?" (Y/N) asked shortly, her arms crossed over her chest and hips pushed to one side.

His face dropped, glancing away from her to look up at the clock. When he saw what time it was Magnus felt both his face drop and chest tighten.

"(Y/N)-"

"You missed our date." She pointed out, her voice tight as she tried not to yell. Her body was practically shaking with anger now, how could forget? If (Y/N) had to pick out one of the best things about Magnus she would have said that he never forgets anything, that was no longer true.

Magnus took another step forward, but felt as if someone stabbed him when she took another step away from him. "I am so sorry I was helping Alec with something." He apologized, hoping that it would be enough.

She scuffed. "You're always helping Alec with something Magnus." (Y/N) exclaimed, feeling tears well in her eyes. "And when you aren't here your working on something at home." She hates being the girlfriend that said she was lonely, she hated being the girlfriend that said that their significant other did spend enough time with them - but it was the truth.

Magnus sighed, pulling at the ends of his blue hair. "You're right, I'm sorry (Y/N)." He admitted. Magnus glanced over at Alec, squinted, before looking over to his girlfriend again. "I've still got a few things left to discuss with Alec, but after I promise we will go on that date." Magnus promised her, once against reaching out to her.

She flinched away from him again, appalled at his words. (Y/N) felt like he wasn't listening to her. Eyes closed, she took in a sharp breath. "I'm leaving." Her voice was surprisingly calm, even though they both knew that she was seconds from breaking down. "Are you coming with me or not?" This time her voice shook, the fear of rejection clear in her tone.

Magnus swallowed, "(Y/N) -" He paused, knowing that the next words he spoke were going to hurt. "I can't leave."

(Y/N) inhaled, as if the breath she was now holding was also holding back the tears behind her eyes. She nodded slowly as she realized what he had just said, before quickly turning on her heel and marching from Alec's office.

***

(Y/N) tore into their shared apartment, slamming the door behind her. She quickly made her way towards their shared bedroom, pulling a large suitcase from the top of her closest. Clothes flew off of hangers and out of drawers as she packed everything in sight.

Tears rolled down her face, so much so that she was barely able to see what she was packing. Her chest was tight with pain, it hurt her terribly to be doing this but it felt like she had no choice. She wouldn't sit at home and wait for Magnus to be done with his Shadowhunter fun.

(Y/N) quickly turned around to pull more clothes from the top shelf of her closest, as she yanked a shirt down a box came flying down as well. She paused, looking down to find something she hadn't seen in weeks if not months. A shiver ran down her shine as she picked the top off the box, to reveal an array of souvenirs from the many trips she and Magnus had taken over the years. There was pictures of them kissing in Paris and postcards from their trip to Australia. There was key chains from every place they had been too and tickets from every museum.

The pain that had filled her chest was replaced with joy, all the good memories of she and Magnus replacing the bad ones. They had spent almost a century together, side by side. Why was she ready to leave after a couple months of hardship.

(Y/N) migrated from the bedroom, before falling against the couch and sitting on the floor with the box in her lap. Hot tears rolled down her burning face as she looked at a the box, pulling through all of its contents.

Eventually she was sitting in the living room, with her arms wrapped around the box. She sobbed softly with her head ducked down, her body shaking as she cried. It felt hard to breath as she did so, (Y/N) found herself gasping for air between sobs.

Magnus burst into the apartment, his chest rising and falling heavily as he came in. "(Y/N)!" He called, before his eyes landed on her. Relief washed over him, a tightness in his chest releasing when he realized she was still there. Magnus fell to his knees next to her, he couldn't believe she was still here. "Oh thank the Angel you're still here." He gasped, looking her up and down.

(Y/N) didn't say anything, as she raised her head to meet his gaze. She saw the panic in his face, a look she only saw when there was something that truly scared him and since Magnus was so old it was rare that something scared him. Her vision of him was slightly blurred, but as the longer she looked at him the clearer he became. Hair pulled in every direction, make up smeared and mouth gapped.

Magnus looked down at the box she held, "I'm sorry." He gasped, turning so he was facing the same way of she.

(Y/N) nodded, still not trusting her voice.

"I know I've been away a lot and I know I haven't been the best boyfriend." There was no defense in his voice, he was admitting and owning his mistakes - asking for her to forgive him. "I do not want to lose you over this." Magnus said quietly, his head dropping in embarrassment.

She reached for his hand, catching his attention, before she spoke, "I overreacted." (Y/N) admitted, taking some responsibility, "You're trying to build bridges for all Downworlders and I shouldn't have been so angry with you." She said with a shrug, eyes still focused on the box still in her lap.

"I'm sorry I missed our date." Magnus apologized once again, not really noting that (Y/N) had apologized for.

(Y/N) smiled, "It's one date." She looked up at him then, meeting his uncharacteristically nervous eyes. "We've got a life time more." She said, leaning in to brush her lips against his.

~~~~~~
A/N
Word Count: 1492

I liked this prompt but it didn't turn out great