julian blackthorn : protective

Even with LA being the progressive city that it is, the local vampire clans still couldn't stand the Shadowhunters. They were constantly causing problems, still fighting with the local Werewolves and even conspiring with Fearies.

(Y/N) and Julian were out on patrol, it was the first time in months they had been out together. Julian trusted (Y/N), so the two were rarely paired together. She was often with Livvy or Ty or Dru, since Julian trusted her to keep them safe.

"We haven't done this in a while." She whispered, a smile on her lips. The two sat on the edge of a building across the street from a suspected vampire den.

Julian smiled, when they were younger he, Emma and (Y/N) had gone on patrol everything night together, since they were the only ones old enough. But now that Ty, Liv, and Dru were all old enough he often paired one of his younger siblings with either Emma or (Y/N). He honestly couldn't remember the last time he had been on patrol with either one of them.

"It's nice." Julian said, his hand tracing the frame of her face. He twisted strands of her hair on his hands, watching the stands fall from his fingers with a sigh. "I feel like I never see you." He admitted, his voice was filled with guilt but it was true.

The couple rarely saw each other, between training, fighting demons and raising the kids Julian had no time at all. They had been together for almost four months now but (Y/N) was sure they had spent maybe weeks total together, their lives were so complex. Julian was trying to run the Institute by himself and raise four kids.

(Y/N) sighed, "You've got a lot on your plate." She told him, leaning into his chest as he moved to sit behind her. "I don't know how you do it Jules." Her voice was light, she knew that he felt awful for not spending a ton of time with her. She didn't want him to feel that way, the time they spent together was enough for her, he was doing all he could and more.

Julian tightened his grip around her waist, "(Y/N) I'm sorry." He apologized, for one things specifically he didn't know which. There was so many things, for making her help raise his siblings, for never spending time with her, for complaining most of the time he did spend with her and so much more. "I don't know why you stay." He admits, knowing that his life put stain on her.

She was taken back, couldn't he see just how much she loved him, "Julian-"

(Y/N)'s plea was cut off by a blood curdling scream from the building across from them. Both she mad Julian jumped apart, not looking at each other before scaling the building to the ground. Julian looked at (Y/N)'s feet as she made contact with the pavement, making sure she landed safely.

They both drew out weapons, each a Sereph blade but did not call the names. Julian walked in front of (Y/N), making sure he was to enter the den before her. It was a habit he had picked up over the years, he was always the first was in and last one out. Maybe it came from raising four kids, or maybe it was just the gentleman in him.

There was another scream, this time it was obvious that it was a girl who was crying. This way, Julian mouthed to (Y/N) as the two moved towards the only closed door they had seen. Julian placed his hand on the door knob, nodding to his girlfriend one last time before bursting into the room.

The room was filled with probably ten or twenty vampires, in the center of the room was two girls. They were both hanging from their feet, dangling over the floor. There was prominent bite marks on their neck and wrists, blood dripping from each hole.

Everything happened fast, Julian and (Y/N) both called the names of their blades as the clan of vampires rushed them. They moved together as a unit, both of them swinging their swords and hacking into anything within reach.