alec lightwood : flinch part two

(Y/N) stayed in a spare room- the room that used to be hers- practically on the other side of the Institute from where Alec's room was. Alec's room, it sounded weird to hear it called his room and not their room. It had been their room for more than six months, how could it now be Alec's room again?

She hadn't seen him in weeks, every time she rounded a corner (Y/N) made sure to check for him. Anytime she saw get black hair or a deflection rune she would immediately run back to her room a hide.

It was hard to sleep, she found herself awake throughout all hours of the night. (Y/N) would instinctively roll over and reach for Alec, only to find that his side of the bed was empty. Those nights were the hardest, because she then felt the pain of not being with him all over again.

Pain plagued her for weeks, making it hard to breath and hard to move. (Y/N) was constantly replaying the events from that night over in her head. Trying to figure out what she could do to fix it, but she came up with nothing. There was no coming back from this.

(Y/N) felt alone. She couldn't talk to Izzy or Jace, for obvious reasons. She couldn't talk to Clary, seeing as the two didn't get along. Leaving her crying alone in her room, reliving the pain of her mistakes.

How could she have thought that Alec was going to hit her? Alec had never laid a finger on her or anyone else, he was one of the most gentle people she had ever met. Her mind ran through the scenario, thinking of what could have triggered her to think that he would but her.

The better question was, how could Alec forgive her?

This had to be a breakup. It felt like a breakup. The empty hole in your chest that leaves you gasping for air. The haze of doing things alone rather than with your partner. This felt like a breakup.

She rose from her bed, tossed one of Alec sweatshirts over her head and started towards the door. The sweatshirt still smelled like Alec, and as much as it hurt to smell his cologne it also hurt to know she would eventually have to give it back. It had been almost two days since she had left her room, she had everything she needed except for food.

It made her nauseous to think about seeing Alec, seeing any of them made her sick to her stomach. But she had to get something to eat. She took a deep breath, as if she was getting ready to submerge herself in water, before entering the hallway.

The halls were empty, which seemed odd considering it was almost lunch time. Usually at this time Jace and Alec were running through the halls to keep Izzy from cooking something. Or Jace was with Clary, trying to train her in a new form of combat. Or Izzy was with Simon, the two of them sitting in a bedroom watching Star Ward. Which often left Alec and (Y/N) either cuddled up in bed or out on a mission or- anything as long as they were together.

(Y/N) kept her head down, hoping that if she did so that no one would bother her. "(Y/N)!" Said a chipper voice she hadn't heard in almost two weeks. It was Izzy, in the kitchen with an apron on. If (Y/N) hadn't been so startled by her presence she would be worried by the apron. "How are you?" She asked, her head slightly titled.

(Y/N) knew this would happen? That when she did finally leave her room that people would give her pity. She sighed, "I'm okay." (Y/N) lied, going to the fridge to find something to eat.

Izzy sighed, realizing that she wasn't going to get anything out of her. Seeing as it was Izzy's brother (Y/N) was fighting with. Even though (Y/N) and Izzy were friends it was for (Y/N) to admit how empty she was feeling.

(Y/N)'s eyes scanned over the shelves of the fridge, trying to find something to eat. But nothing looked good, nothing could help her get rid of the pit in her stomach. She slammed the door shut with a sigh, running her hands over her face in distress.