mark blackthorn: riding through the stars

Mark was home. Mark was back from the Wild Hunt. Mark. Mark. Mark.

That was all that raced (Y/N)'s head. All she could think about was what she was going to say, what she was going to do. It had been five years since (Y/N) had seen Mark. She remembered the day that the Wild Hunt came for him, it was once of the worst days of her life.

"Please don't go." (Y/N) hiccuped, tears slipping down her face as her hands clenched the fabric of Marks black shirt. He was dressed in classic Shadowhunter gear, which they were both sure was going to change when he left.

Mark clasped his arms around her, he was built like a Shadowhunter too- tall and beautiful. "You know I have no control over that." He told her hopelessly. They had thought of everything, even running away but Mark couldn't ask her to do that.

She sniffled, "I know." It had been an awful few weeks. Being in Idris during the Dark War, walking through the burning streets with the Blackthorns. On top of that their father had died- Julian forced to kill him- and then the Clave deciding to take Mark and Helen away from the Blackthorns. It was all too much.

(Y/N) hated it. She hated Sebastian Morganstern for staring this war. She hated the Seelie Queen for aiding him. She hated the Clave for punishing Mark and Helen for their blood rather than their actions. Most of all she hated that she could be losing the most important person in her life- the boy she knew she would marry one day.

Both of them stood close together, holding each other as they swayed back and forth together. Neither one of them wanted to say goodbye, because if they did than this was real.

Marks heard it before she did, the calls of the Wild Hunt as Hunters rose closer, coming to get him. He knew she heard it seconds later when he body tensed in his grasp, if it was possible she moved closer to his body.

She let out a soft whimper, before moving so her face was pressed into the skin of his neck. He smelled of mint and sea-salt, a combination that came from living near the sea and his body wash. "I can't believe this is happening." (Y/N) croaked into his neck, the words so gargled that she wasn't sure if he could hear her.

"I love you." He whispered into her ear, not knowing how to respond to what she had just said. He himself hadn't end fully processed what was happening, "I will find my way back to you." Mark promised, placing a kiss on her temple.

(Y/N) closed her eyes, hoping she would wake up from this nightmare and it would be a month prior- when evening was alright- in Marks arms.

It took her a while to find her voice, "I love you too Mark." She said softly, feeling her hear break so loud that she knew he could hear it.

(Y/N) flinched in his grasp as the horn of the Wild Hunt blew from in front of the Institute. Mark pried himself from her, "I have to go." He mumbled with disappointment, trying to strong like he always was.

She let him go, her hand trailing on his arm until their fingers were all that connected them. "Please be careful." (Y/N) begged.

Mark nodded, his eyes meeting hers one last time, "Please watch over my siblings."

She nodded, then watched the love of her life walk out. (Y/N) sunk to her knees when he was out of ear shot, sobbing into her hands.

Now he was back. But he wasn't her Mark. He was slim, his face hallowed and body skin. His hair wasn't the same strict cut as when he left, it was an uneven cut that flipped out when it hit his shoulders. Mark no longer dressed in Shadowhunter gear, but tattered lose clothes that hung low on his slim frame.