mark blackthorn : going away

Mark watched sadly as (Y/N) pulled Julian to the side, obviously getting ready to give him a personal goodbye. He sighed, thinking about her leaving.

She got an offer for a seat on the Clave, so she was leaving for Idris tonight. (Y/N) and Mark had broken up just over six months ago; breaking up a year long relationship after one single fight. And still they remained great friends, still caring for each other more than others could understand.

It had been Emma's idea to throw her a going away party, in the ball room. This was the first time that Mark really saw just how large his family was. Sure there was the Blackthorn kids - Helen, Julian, Ty, Livvy, Dru, Tavvy and Mark himself - but there was many more people in the dancing hall.

There was Emma, someone who might as well be a Blackthorn, standing next to Cristina, the girl from Mexico who had come with the intent of only staying a year and ended up moving here. Cristina was standing next to Marks old boyfriend, Kieren - the prince of the Unseelie Courts. Then there was Kit, the Los Herondale, who was standing next to the Blackthorn twins. Somehow he had made himself part of their impenetrable duo. And Diana who had tutors Marks siblings for many years.

There was people who didn't live in the Los Angles who had come for the occasion. It was no secret that the Los Angles residents were good friends with those from New York. Th me heads of the Institute, Clary and Jace were there. With Jace's Parabatai, Alec and his husband Magnus Bane - the High Warlock of Brooklyn. There there was Simon Lovelace, Clary's Parabatai and one of the newest graduates from the Academy with his wife Izzy Lightwood - Alec and Jace's sister.

Seeing all of these people, here for (Y/N) made Marks heart swell. He knew how proud of her he was, he just wanted everyone to see it as well.

Mark kept his eyes training on the door that (Y/N) and Julian had dispersed through, waiting for them to return. He quickly turned away, as not to be seen, when they emerged. Julian was crying, raising his hands to brush away tears before any of the kids saw him crying. Marks heart tightened, thinking of what (Y/N) must have said to bring Julian, the rock of the family, to tears.

One by one (Y/N) would snatch people from the crowd - Ty, Livvy, Cristina, Jace, Alec - trading one person for the next. Each person came back with either tears in their eyes or with tears rolling down their cheeks.

The more people Mark saw speak to her the more nervous he got, no one knew (Y/N) better than he. He knew that she could easily bring him to tears. Pain whelmed in his chest, so much that he brought a hand to place over his heart.

Mark watched Emma go with (Y/N), which told him that he was probably next. The two people that meant the most to (Y/N) would be Mark and Emma. He tried to ready himself for what was the come, tried to prepare himself for the heartbreak he was sure to endure.

"Are you alright?" Said a familiar voice, a hand clasping on Marks shoulder. He looked up and saw Julian standing next to him, his face clear from all tears but his eyes still sad.

Mark shrugged, "I don't think I'm ready to have this conversation." He admitted, feeling lost for breath. What was she going to say?

Julian let out a soft chuckle, "I'm sorry she's leaving." He told his brother, squeezing Marks shoulder before turning towards the crowd and dispersing.

The door opened, reveling Emma and (Y/N) with their hands clasped together. Tears rolled down both (Y/N) and Emma's faces, neither one of them hiding the fact that they were upset.

Mark straightened himself, his back now up right, and his clothes, tugging down the sleeves of his blazer. He felt a lump grow in his throat, knowing that he was next: he had to be, there was no one left.