mark blackthorn : don't look fine

"No mom!" (Y/N) yelled into the phone, her voice raising. She tilted her head back, shutting her eyes in frustration, and tried to resist the urge to punch the wall next to her. "Mom I'm not coming back to Idris." (Y/N) tried to tell her mother but on the other side of the line he mother wasn't listening.

You've been gone for too long, she would say. You need to come home, she would argue.

(Y/N) has been in Los Angles for almost two years, a year more than she had intended. She had come to Los Angles for her year of study, after spending eighteen years stuck inside of the Idris boarder. (Y/N) had instantly fallen in love with Los Angles - the palm trees on the sides of the streets, the smell of salty ocean air, the bright orange and red lights that would shine bright against the darkness of the sky - and its people.

The habitants of the LA Institute, the Blackthorns, had welcomed her with open arms. Mostly the eldest brother Mark - blonde hair, faerie ears, one blue eyes and one green - had connected with her the most. In the first couple weeks (Y/N) had been in LA they had been inseparable, even now that remained true.

(Y/N) sighed, "I miss you too mom," She responded to her mother, feeling pressure build up behind her eyes. "But I'm not moving back to Idris." (Y/N) managed to croak out, feeling the damn behind her eyes finally break as tears rolled down her face.

Her mother said nothing else, there was a soft sigh on the other side of the like before (Y/N) was met with the dial tone. She let her mouth hang out as a small sob came out, before she tossed her phone to the side.

(Y/N) went to her balcony, sat down and stuck her legs in the spaces between the bars. She then wrapped her arms through the same holes and clasped her hands in front of her. Tears continued to roll down her face, the heat of the tears stung against her skin. But nothing stung more than the feeling of guilt rising in her chest. (Y/N) loved her mom more than everyone else, and yes she missed her, but she couldn't go back to Idris. She could go back to a place where she felt so trapped.

One of her other favorite things about living in LA was the vast diversity. Not just in race of the Shadowhunter but in the species around her - Faeries, Werewolves, Vampires, Warlocks - Downworlders. In Idris the closest she ever got to a Downworlder, of any kind, was when Magnus Bane came for a counsel meeting. That was it.

In Idris (Y/N) was expected to be perfect, seeing as he mother held a spot on the Clave. She was expected to keep her mouth shut, to train and follow in her mother's footsteps. But she wanted nothing more than to venture outside the safety of Idris and be a real Shadowhunter, fighting demons.

Mark didn't knock when he entered (Y/N)'s room, he hadn't for a long time now. His eyes scanned the room for her, when he saw her sitting on the balcony concern rose in his chest. He knew something was wrong, the only time he ever saw her sit against her balcony like that was when she was upset.

"(Y/N)." Mark said lightly, as not to startle her.

She looked up at him and sniffled. The light from the Los Angles city lights flashed across her face, catching the light of the tear stained cheeks. Her eyes were puffy and red, from attempting to brush away the tears that wouldn't stop falling, and her face was crumbled.

Unsure of what to say Mark sat next to her, mirroring her position and looked out at the city. He knew better than to push her, that she would tell him when she was ready too.

Silence feel between them, the kind where it was obvious that one person was waiting for the other to say something. The only sounds were those of car horns, waves crashing and dance music from clubs. Those were the same sounds that (Y/N) had fallen asleep too for the past two years, a huge contrast from the noises of Idris. In Idris there was no noise, only the sounds of a couple birds and kids sneaking from their families homes filled the streets.

(Y/N) broke the silence, "I'm fine." She insisted, her voice still horse from sobbing.

"You don't look fine." Mark shot back, his gaze shifting from the Los Angles skyline to her face. Pain plagued his chest as he saw her face, swollen from crying, tear streaks, and disheveled. 

She looked away from Mark, "Then stop looking." Her voice was short and (Y/N) could feel herself taking her anger from her mother out on Mark. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have snapped at you." She apologized quickly, clasping her hand across his.

He nodded, "It's alright." Mark told her, squeezing her fingers. "What's wrong?" He questioned, eyes still boring into hers quizzically.

(Y/N) let out a long ragged sigh, her voice shaking as she thought about it. "My mom called." She admitted, looking down at where Marks hand held hers. "She wants me to come home."

He tensed beside her, the thought of her leaving made Mark sick to his stomach. Images of all their memories flashed in his head - them kissing on the top of the Institute, them fighting Demons on the board walk, them in bed together - and each one made him more and more nervous to lose her.

(Y/N) swallowed, feeling Marks nerves, "I told her I couldn't go back to Idris. I told her that I wouldn't, that LA is where I belong now and that I would leave the people that I love." She explained while shaking her head, trying to keep herself from crying.

Mark looked over at her, feeling not only his fear of losing her but her pain as well. The pain of letting her mother down, the pain of having to leave LA, the pain of picking between two parts of herself.

"Whatever you decide," Mark said, feeling his chest tighten as he thought of his words. "I will support you." He knew that if she went to Idris that he would lose her, seeing as going to Idris would probably cost him his life.

Mark loved her more than everything, and he wanted to be selfish and tell her to stay with him. But he loved her to much to force her to stay, if she wanted to leave he would let her.

(Y/N) looked at Mark, her eyes misty from his words. "Mark." She said lightly, trying to find any words at all. "I love you, and I'm not going anywhere." (Y/N) told him, moving from her spot tangled from the balcony railing so she could grab him.

Mark was knocked backwards, falling onto his back as she latched onto him. His hands wrapped around her back as (Y/N) pressed her face into neck.

"I love you too." Mark mumbled breathlessly into her, balling his hands in the fabric of her shirt.

She let out a half-chuckle and a half-sob into his chest. Lifting her head just enough to speak to him. "I know, I know." (Y/N) repeated breathlessly before attaching her lips back to his.

~~~~~~~
A/N
Word Count: 1266