Chapter 80 - The Distant Moment

AE'S POV

"I will feel better soon. I think you probably should worry about yourself instead. How come that my sister-in-law hasn't got bored of you yet?"

"Hey, watch your mouth, Ae. My child is an angel, so he can't handle the smell of human sweat. It's not that my wife hates it, watch yourself or I'm gonna smack you." 

"You are more than welcome to come here." 

I'm not scared at all. I'm posing in a provoking pose to show him that I'm readied and he waved his hands.

"Gentlemen do not use violence but only their mouths to settle things down. That's right, you're gonna play rattan ball tonight, right? I have to go with you too." 

[Note: Playing rattan ball or kicking rattan ball is sport native to South East Asia. The number of players can range from 4 to 8. It's pretty much like volleyball except the ball they use is made from rattan and they can only use their feet, knees, chests and heads to hit the ball...]

My brother switches to a topic that can make me laugh. 

"You're so unbelievable. Your belly is getting bigger and bigger recently. I am afraid that you can't even lift your feet." 

"You actually look down on me. Just wait and see, I'll show you how good I am... after all, I'm already the father of two children." 

I nod and agree to take my brother with me to play rattan ball. I know very well that my brother is trying to comfort me, he just does not say it out loud and cause me to think about it. He just promises to accompany me to do things that I am interested in.

When Pete disappeared from my life, I didn't have the mood to do anything. But when I told Pond that I wanted to get wasted, this guy wrapped around my neck and pulled me to the football field. He said that I shouldn't ease my sadness in the bar, I should kick the ball to my heart's content on the football field instead. In the end, do you know what happened to me?? This year our football team successfully entered the university league's final. 

I don't know if it's because of Pond's words or not, but I think that the only way that can help myself sleep without having a nightmare is to do a lot of exercises to consume my energy. 

I put my heart and soul into playing soccer and even tried playing rattan ball. I also signed up for those volunteering organizations. I did everything just to make myself have no time to think about the thing that made my heart suffer, but... I have never forgotten it even just for a single moment. 

Before going to bed every night, I always look at the ring on my ring finger of my right hand, and I can still hear Pete's gentle words lingering around my ears. 

"But some people say that when the ring is worn on the ring finger on the right hand side, it means that... that person is already taken... so... I believe in the latter... I am already yours, Ae."

I can still see his happy smile, I can still see him stroking the ring as if he really cherishes it, and I feel a little guilty, because I just bought him a very ordinary silver ring. In the end... I always unconsciously fall asleep in tears every time. 

****

"Ai Shorty! We've come to visit you!" 

"Why did you come here? To mess things up?" 

My family uses one way to comfort me, my good friends use another way to comfort me... They try their best to come to my place and... disturb my life. 

It's just the same today. Although I just came back from the volunteer camp yesterday, they rushed here as a group and dragged along all kind of guys to my tiny house to camp. Who were the ones suggested these stupid ideas, you ask? Of course it has to be Ai Pond and Ai Sun.