Retirement?

~~STEVE

We were all sitting around a long table me at the head with Rhodey, Natasha and Tony on my right and Sam, Vision and Wanda on my left. Secretary Ross was standing at the head of the table in front of a big screen.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass....I found something forty years in the army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives...but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some...who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'." Thaddeus Ross explained looking at all of us with his stern eyes and we remained silent.           

"And what world would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked my eyes snapped to her then back to Ross.

"How about 'dangerous'? What would you call a group of US-based,enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict theirwill wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what theyleave behind?" Ross exclaimed ...

"How about 'dangerous'? What would you call a group of US-based,enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict theirwill wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what theyleave behind?" Ross exclaimed flicking on the screen to show the news footagefrom the past that we were all a part of while he moved around the table now."New York." Images of the aftermath of the Chitauri invasion, Hulk smashinginto buildings as I saw Rhodey look at Natasha. "Washington D.C." The threeHelicarriers falling from the sky causing tsunami like waves to flood the cityas Sam looks down. "Sokovia." The whole city was rising into the air where Tonyand Wanda stared intently at the screen. "Lagos." The pain filled Wanda's faceagain and I felt anger hit me.

"Okay

"Okay. That's enough." I ordered watching Ross nod turning off the screen before turning to look at us again.           

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." Ross replied pulling out a thick book passing them around among us until one touched my fingers. Picking it up I saw the title read: 'Sokovia Accords' before my gaze lift to Ross. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved but 117 countries...it states that the Avengers shall no longer be private organizations. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."