7| Nova Lacrimae

Rome's POV:

"I will burn down my closet if you bring me another black dress." I threatened.

She placed the black and gold dress on the bed as she pinched her daughter's cheek.

"Rome, I think you might be overreacting just a bit." She said while pushing back a stray strand of hair off of Noelle's face.

I scoffed, "If you were anyone else I would have your head for speaking to me like that."

She only shook her head, but a small smile played itself on her face. She turned to look at me but that smile dropped when she took notice of my sunken face. "What's wrong?"

Her question caused my eyelids to flicker as they traveled down to the dark wood on the floor. "I'm just thinking about things. . ."

She nodded and motioned Noelle to go play around in the room, she left her side and walked towards where I was seated near the window. "Would one of those things be a certain mate?" She questioned and I let out a dry laugh.

"One of them." I agreed. "One of the biggest things. . ." I added, taking in my lower lip and tugging it with my teeth. "Tonight's not going to end well, I have that gut feeling."

"Why do you think that?" She said while sitting down right next to me.

My eyes flickered up to the ceiling, "Ambrose, "I let out a breath, "By now he has probably found out that I found my mate, he knows that I'm going to call off our engagement, and he's going to make sure that it won't happen."

"The sooner the better!" Camille exclaimed, as she got up and walked towards the dress. "Never liked him at all, always gave me a terrifying feeling."

"I can't believe there was a point in my life where I loved him," I whispered, "Now I feel nothing but resentment."

I watched as she walked into the closet, getting up I made my way towards the corset that was hanging by the cupboard.

"Well, I think you have a certain mate to thank for that." She smiled as she came towards me, holding a dainty crown in her hands. "I know it's small, but. . ." She licked her lips, "It sure will show the council that you are adamant about getting your throne.

I took it in my hands, the small gold- though simple, filled me up with joy. "Thank you, Camille."

She smiled as she untied the previous dress I had on, I held her hand as I stepped out of it leaving me only in my slip. Holding the corset in my hands I let my mouth drop as she took it from my hands and threw it in a random corner of the room.

"I'm already having you wear black, I think we can leave the corset for one day."

Smiling at her, I let her dress me. "And Ezekiel, does he have something to wear?" I asked as I stepped into the dress.

She let out a little laugh as her tongue stuck in the air while she focused on buttoning the back, "I've got something just. . . specially made for him."

"Oh lord, I hope you haven't dressed him as a fool." I joked, "By the way, where is he?"

"I had already planned and cleaned out a room for him, Valentine took him when I whisked you away from the throne room.

My eyebrows raised, "And, did you ask Valentine to take him?"

Her eyes flickered as I saw an emotion pass through her, "I did."

I hid my smirk and let her dress me. After that was done she sat me down to tackle the lengths of my hair as she brushed it Noelle came to watch.

My head turned to face her and she was hiding behind her mother's leg, clutching on to the fabric of her white dress.