16| Quiescis

Rome's POV:

The second those words left her lips I felt my heart fall down to the pits of my stomach and down to the center of the earth, I gulped and pushed her against the wall before she could even comprehend that I had moved from my spot.

She gasped, and fear passed through her eyes.

"No, Rome..." She whispered, struggling in my soft hold slightly, "Don't kill me, please." Her eyes began to wet as she tried to move out of my grasp.

"Shh," I quieted her down, making sure that my eyes showed that I wasn't going to harm her in any way, "I'm not going to hurt you, I'm just going to..." I placed my hand on her shoulder, "Make you forget all this."

"No!" She exclaimed, moving my hand off of her, and pushing me away from her. I stumbled back and Zeke came up behind me but I stabilized myself before he could offer any help, "You can't do that, I want to know!"

I groaned, "You don't want me to hurt you, but you do realize if I let you walk around knowing all this, that you'll be killed the second you step outside?"

She quieted down, and I placed my hand back on her and she shrugged it off again, "I want to know this,"

Frustration brewed in me, and a small voice told me to rip her head off for being so stubborn so I let go of her, throwing my hands in the air. 

"I can't deal with this right now... Zeke?" I turned to see him staring at the ground, "Can you make sure that she doesn't go running off?" He nodded and pulled her towards him engaging in some sort of small talk while I whipped out my phone and frantically dialed Valentine who picked up before it could even get to the second bell.

"Rome?" His voice came through static-like before it started to clear up, "It's so late, what are you doing up?" 

"Valentine," I started it's not good." I shook my head before finding the distance from Zeke and Kate. "It's spread to Bulgaria, I'm not safe here either."

"What's spread?" He asked and I heard shuffling, meaning he was probably in bed when I called.

I rubbed my head, "That manhunt, some fledgling recognized me."

"You're a what?" Kate exclaimed loudly, before clamping her mouth shut after meeting my heated gaze.

"It's been less than a week since you left," He said flabbergasted, "If news of this spreads throughout Europe which looks like it might before this week is over..." He trailed off.

"I know," glancing over I saw Zeke and Kate watching me intently and once caught staring they shifted their eyes and pretended to not be staring, Zeke even opted to start whistling. "Which country is it now?"

Val let out a humorless laugh, "Country? Rome, we have to get you out of this continent."

I didn't know if he meant that as a joke, but I certainly didn't take it as one. My hand found its way to my scalp and I tugged harshly at my hair, some strands coming off, cursing myself slightly, I let the hair fall to the ground as I realized I pulled too hard. Footsteps neared me and I ignored them and focused on the new pain that was shooting on my scalp.

"Can't we just kill him already?" I complained before I felt a warm hand on my head, turning my eyes I met with dark ones, Zeke grabbed my hand and took it out of my hair, and placing it by my side as he kept his hands on his hips, looking down at me like some sort of disapproving mother who found her child stealing cookies from the cookie jar.

"Dog, don't do that."

I scoffed, "You're the dog."

"Is that Zeke?" Valentine asked, his voice changing slightly. I hummed in response, and Val's voice got hopeful, "Tell me, do you know where he came from?"