14| Inanis

My eyes set on the bright light of the broken sign, "Yes, Valentine," I spoke into my phone, "I made it safely."

"That's wonderful," He gave a sigh of relief, "I had to move Camille and Noelle into my room, the kings adamant about not allowing anyone inside."

My lips fell into a tight line, "I'll talk to you tomorrow, goodbye."

Before he could get another word out I hung up on him, I cursed myself silently and reminded myself to apologize when I call him next.

Footsteps neared me and my back straightened as I felt Ezekiel's presence. I glanced up at the house with my back towards him, it was an old building. Looked as if one good punch to it that the whole infrastructure would collapse.

I began walking up the steps, not caring to check if he mirrored my actions.

Pushing the door open I was instantly hit with the smell of cinnamon, I closed my eyes and the smell wafted deeper into my nose.

"Hello, welcome to Jamesville Boarding house, how can I help you?"

I turned my head to face a teenage girl looking at my dress with confusion and then masking it into a soft smile when she saw my face.

Stepping closer, I was shocked to see her. She looked so similar to my mother that it pulled my heartstrings.

"Yes," I stepped out of the daze. "I need to rent two rooms, are any available?"

Her eyes glazed over my face as she stared, "I'm sorry, you just look really familiar... have we met before?"

"No, I don't think we've ever met."

She blinked quickly as she heard the door behind me shut, I turned to see a sheepish Zeke staring down at the floor.

"That's my..." I struggled to find a word, "brother,"

She returned her soft look to me, "Oh," She smiled, "Let me just call my mother to have the both of you situated."

"Thank you," I smiled as I watched her leave.

The small room grew tense, and I looked about to see various pictures of their family adorning the wooden walls.

"Rome-"

"I don't want to hear anything from you," I interrupted, "I don't even want to look at you right now."

He got quiet and walked further away from me.

"Hello," I turned to see a middle-aged woman walk towards me, a rag in her hand while she looked at us with curiosity. "I'm Mrs. Flouris, I heard you're looking for a room."

I smiled, "Yes, we are."

She tucked the rag into her pocket and she dusted her hands. "Well, the cost for living here per week is thirty dollars, meals are included too."

I furrowed my eyebrows, that seemed too inexpensive. I patted down my leg to search for my money in the pockets of my dress, my face contorted when all I could pull out was a single wet dollar.

All the money got washed out in the lake.

Ezekiel sensed my anger rising and he quickly intercepted, "Hi, sorry." He flashed them a charming smile, "Do you take PayPal?"

The mother-daughter duo looked at each other before Mrs. Flouris spoke, "Paypal?"

I sighed and began taking an earring off my ear, glaring at Ezekiel the entirety of it.

"Will this do?" I held it up, "All our belongings got washed away in the pond in the forest."

She gasped at us, "You both came through the forest?"