21| De Uestitu

Rome's POV:

I didn't grieve, I couldn't.

Noelle didn't either, she couldn't comprehend where her mother had gone.

I had wanted to tell her the truth, that her mother was dead and would never come back. But taking one look into her deep brown eyes I felt an emotion that I wished would never arise and bubble itself in me.

So, instead, Zeke told her what a girl her age needed to hear.

"Mommy went on a vacation..."

Though she didn't grieve she felt the presence of Camille's absence too greatly, I'd catch her staring off, discarding her dolls and opting to sit alone quietly. I hadn't done anything about it, What could I have done? I wasn't a mother, I couldn't ever be a mother!

But all that walking on eggshells around her proved to be of no use when she stopped eating.

At first, she would send back her breakfast, I remained quiet. But after a day of her trying to go without a meal, I had to step in.

"Noelle?" I knocked on her door before pushing it open, "Noelle, I brought dinner."

I found her sitting on the ground, her curly hair a mess and her eyes dull as she stared off. Nearing her quietly, she turned and blinked slowly, looking me over before her gaze turned to the wall.

"Hi," She said not looking at me, "I don't want that."

I set the plate down in front of her, before sitting down next to her side. "And why is that?"

She looked at the plate, "That's not how mommy made it."

I recoiled back, licking my lips as I tried to not let my voice crack, "How did mommy make it?"

She shifted, sitting on her knees as she pointed with her small finger. "Mommy never cut the crusts off, and she added purple jelly, not the pink one." She listed.

I nodded, "I see... would you want to come down with me so we can make it correctly?"

She shook her head yes and stood up, I followed in suit and stood up, bending down to pick up the plate. 

I held my hand out and she took it immediately, holding onto me tightly as we made our way out of her room.

I had moved Noelle into a room walking distance away from Zeke and I's room. But I rarely slept at night or day. Opting to stay wide awake as I planned out the events of my coronation which was set to be executed tomorrow night.

"You know Zeke asked them to cut off the crusts," I told her and her face brightened at the mention of Zeke's name. "I'll be sure to tell him to leave the crusts on this time."

She shrugged, "It's okay, I don't mind the crusts."

I smiled down at her, she clearly loved Zeke and the thought of her looking up to him frightened me.

We stayed quiet as we walked downstairs, the entire castle was buzzing with energy, some maids wore an expression of joy cleaning up for tomorrow night, while most wore a solemn face, no doubt for the loss of their own dear friend.

Nearing the maid quarters where Noelle had never been, she looked at the new part of the castle with wide eyes.

We walked into the kitchen where several meals were being prepared carefully by the staff. Upon my entry, everyone stopped their tasks at hand and bowed slightly before resuming their work.

I opened my mouth to order someone to re-make the sandwich but clamped it shut as I watched how they were working preparing for the feast tomorrow. I looked down to see Noelle looking up at me and I threw her a soft smile as I set the plate down, quietly telling a maid to do whatever she wanted with the meal.