25| Vendi

Rome's POV:

"No," I shook my head, the tears threatening to fall from my eyes, "Valentine, explain yourself," I whispered. "Why?"

His hand left the table, his eyes set on the floor before they snapped up, they looked at me with a lifetime full of anger and hatred, replacing the love and respect he used to carry for me.

"Because I hate you." He said coolly.

The tears couldn't stay back and they fell, "Why?" I croaked asking the same question, fearing the different answer.

He stepped closer, Ambrose stood watching the scene with his own curious glances as he would rip his eyes from my saddened blue face to Valentines angered red one.

 "Why?" He repeated, "Are you really asking me why?!" He shouted.

I had nothing but silence and tears to answer myself to him.

"You ruined my life!" He yelled, a vein popping from his neck as his long finger was pointed towards me, its accusatory stance pointing itself at me like a freshly sharpened knife looking for blood to spill. 

"You turned me, you subjected my life to hiding, to pain, to misery!"

"Valentine, please." I pleaded.

"No, you shut up and listen." He spat, "Did you really believe that after you killed me that everything would be perfect between us?"

"I didn't mean to turn you!" I shouted, tears falling into my mouth. "I had told you to leave me, but you didn't listen!"

He ran up in front of me, his shoes touching mine and I craned my eyes to meet with his burning ones. "You were my baby cousin, how could I have just left you!"

"Exactly, I'm your family! The only family you still have!" I responded, my voice wavering. "How could you do this to family?"

A tear fell from his eyes as he turned away from me, his eyes looking off in the distance of the heavily wooded room, "The only family I have left," He faced me, "the only family I have because I watched my mother, father, brother, and sister all die. While I sat there frozen in time!"

"You act like you were the only one who watched them die!"

"We watched, we didn't go up to them till they took their last breaths. You know why? Because you brought this curse upon us."

I shook my head, "I didn't force you to stay, you were adamant on not leaving me alone."

"And look where that lead us now. You plagued us."

"I didn't ask to be turned!" I shouted, my throat growing dry and strained, "I was forced by Vincent, I took no happiness in watching you die!"

"It doesn't matter anymore," He whispered, "What's done is done."

Wiping my tears off my damp cheeks and sniffling, I held my head up high.

"You'll pay for this, you know?" Meeting his side profile, my wet eyes roamed his face and the freckles that scattered about, "For conspiring against your Queen."

Valentine was quiet before a chorus of laughter escaped from him, if the situation was different I would have relished in hearing it, but knowing the ill intent it carried all it made me do was become nauseous. I wanted to furrow my eyebrows in confusion but kept up with my poker face facade.

"No I won't," He said.

"And why not."

"Because," He started, "how do you think you even got the crown in the first place?"