19| Dies Ultima

Romes Pov:

Even though I had my suspicions about how Zeke's family would react to me, in these past weeks that I had stayed at the Romero resident I had come to enjoy them. They had proven me wrong with my assumptions and I looked forward to every day that I had spent with them.

One late night Zeke had shown me his world, basically threw his whole life into my lap all in one night that had stretched to the early morning hours. I had attempted to do the same but twenty-six fell short to 400 and some odd years.

♦♦♦

"Can I ask you something?" Zeke asked, throwing a berry into his mouth as he leaned forward on the dining room table, I looked up from our joined hands towards him.

"Of course."

His thumb began to rub my hand, the action caused me to mute out the world and only pay attention to how his thumb danced over my skin.

"Rome?"

I snapped my head to find him looking at me with a joyous smile, "Sorry, could you repeat the question? I got distracted."

A smirk blossomed over his lips, "My thumb rubbing against your hand distracted you?"

"Yes," I responded honestly, "I imagined it elsewhere."

His smirk fell immediately and to take its place a bright flush took its place on his cheeks, causing me to let out a small laugh.

"Jesus Romeo..." He shook his head, "I really don't got a response to that."

"What were you going to ask me?" I changed the conversation back to where it started.

His eyes glazed over before he remembered. "Oh!" He exclaimed, "I was just going to ask you if you regret being a vampire?"

I blinked back confusion and begun to retract my hand from his hold, he sensed it and held it tighter. "Why are you asking me that?"

His thumb began moving once more, "Just wondering, because I know for me..." He trailed off, "Sometimes I wish I was 'normal'."

"Normal being human?" I asked and he nodded, "Well, there are some things that I miss about being human. Not much though, I didn't enjoy my life before I turned at twenty-four."

"Like what?"

I glanced over his face, really taking it in before I responded. 

"I miss the fear of my own death."

His eyebrows scrunched up and he scooted closer, "What's that supposed to mean Romeo?"

I smiled at him, "All creatures in this world die at some point, they know how long they'll have. But I don't have that point."

He didn't say anything for a while, he just sat there. His mouth would occasionally drop open to say something but he would clamp it shut.

"Is there something you want to say?" I aided him, to which he just cleared his throat.

"Yes, I wanted to say that I want to call off our-"

The sound of flip flops quickly hitting the tile floor caused him to grow quiet again. I looked up past him only to see Mandy and Penny dressed in swimming attire as they raced towards the backyard where the bright blue water looked back at them invitingly.