26| Sanguis

Locked away in a cell it had been a couple of days, I grew angry, sad, depressed borderline suicidal.

I cried for my freedom, for my crown, for my mate.

I even grew angry at Zeke, thinking to myself thoughts such as, 'Why hasn't he found me yet?', and others along the same line, but I knew he was most likely sweet talked by Valentine.

Valentine probably had a whole elaborate lie already planned out, details that didn't contradict either, a whole story about my disappearance.

Even though I sat here, crying quietly to the stone walls that were the only thing to greet me, I couldn't grow angry at Valentine.

I knew he was wrong, I knew he had done this to me and that I should be angry at him. But I felt his pain and his fury.

I had the same feeling of fury towards Vincent, just like Valentine I was turned against my own will.

But unlike Vincent I hadn't done it purposefully, I just hadn't mustered the self-control and he was adamant on not departing me when my sickly thin form crawled up to his front door.

♦♦♦

Watching my thin blood-ridden arm come up I held back bile, curling my fingers into a fist I used all and any of my remaining energy to muster three strong knocks on Valentine's front door.

Holding my head high it felt like days had passed and not a peep came from the inside of his house.

Laying my head on the cold stone stairs that I had barely managed to crawl up on, I winced at the reality of it.

I would never get to relish heat any longer.

The thought of never basking in the sunlight caused a whimper to leave my dry chapped lips as I turned my head to see the sun skimming its head on the horizon, illuminating the tears which were pooling in my eyes.

It was then and there that I had accepted my fate, I was to die on this day watching the sun take my life.

The door creaked open slowly, just as the first rays of the suns bright lights hit me causing my skin to immediately begin bubbling and burning.

I heard a confused noise leave his mouth as he took in my weak form writhing on his front steps, he didn't hesitate for even a moment before he dragged me in quickly, trying his utmost best to do it as carefully and gently as he could possibly manage to.

His arms were tucked under my armpits as he pulled me inside, closing his door quickly before he kneeled down in front of me, slapping my face to keep my eyes from rolling back.

"Rome, what the hell happened to you?" He whispered, his eyes filling with emotion and fear as he raked my horrid appearance.

"The world," I choked out, groaning in pain he moved his position and I lay on his lap, "The world has so many secrets..." I managed.

His eyebrows furrowed, evident that my words had confused him greatly.

"What do you mean by that, Rome?"

I blinked back the tears that formed in my eyes due to the pain I was feeling, "We aren't alone, they exist alongside us too." My eyes widened as I remembered how that vampire dug his fangs into my neck, killing me immediately, and turning me into an object of a child's nightmares.