24| Mendax

Rome's POV:

"Why are you laughing?" I asked him after he randomly began laughing when we woke up the next day.

Zeke turned his head towards me, his hair rubbing against the pillow. But instead of giving me a response he laughed harder, snickering at me.

"Zeke, after you have sex with someone the last thing you want to do is laugh." I scolded.

Another round of chuckles left his mouth, irritated I turned away from him, having my back be facing him.

"Come on, Rome," He teased wrapping his arm around my waist and pulling me closer to him.

I shook my head and pulled myself away from him, "You can either tell me what exactly is so funny, or you can continue with having all and any conversations with my back."

"You have a nice back."

"Zeke."

"Is that a birthmark?"

"Ezekiel."

He sighed and leaned on his hand, he tapped my bare shoulder before pointing at my vanity.

"Do you see that?" He asked.

I got up slightly and followed to where his finger pointed, "I don't get it..." I told him, looking at the bowl of salad placed on the table, "Why is there salad in our room?"

He let out giggles and shoved his face under the covers as he hooted in laughter.

"Zeke, what's so funny about your day-old salad?"

"We did it," He wheezed, "in front of my salad!"

I rolled my eyes, remembering when he tried explaining to me that saying, "Is that all?"

He pulled the covers off his face, "Aww, is someone mad because they don't have a great sense of humor?"

I dropped my mouth, "Well excuse me for not laughing at your bad jokes."

He mirrored my actions, dropping his own mouth, "Hey!" He exclaimed, "My jokes are the farthest thing from bad!"

"Uh huh," I replied as I cozied further into bed, "Keep telling yourself that."

"You know I will," Zeke said while pulling me to his chest, "I'm a comedian."

"Mhhm."

My fingers tapped the surface of his chest, neither of us saying anything as time whizzed past us. My eyes focused in on the silver divet in his skin, right near his beating chest.

I furrowed my eyebrows as my fingers softly touched where the skin sank in, "Zeke what's this?"

He looked down to where my fingers where his own eyebrows furrowed until he noticed what it was I was looking at.

"I got shot."

I immediately sat up, "Excuse me?"

He didn't say anything.

"Ezekiel, you can't just say that so bluntly without any backstory," I lectured, "Who shot you?"

He sighed, "Rome, don't worry about it. The guy's already dead."

"Zeke-"

He cut me off with a pained look, his eyes turning from their joyful state to ones of old pain. I wasn't hurt that he didn't want to tell me, I couldn't ask him to tell me anything that he couldn't feel like he could. I was just hurt that, we came so far he backed out of our deal and he still seems so far away from me.