Petals

Hanahaki Disease is an illness born from unrequited love, where a persons throat and lungs will fill with flowers, they will then proceed to throw up, and cough up the petals, and some times the flower...
-------

Your throat felt raw as you coughed up scarlet petals. Your hands on either side of the sink you were over, sweat dripped down your face along with a little blood from your mouth. You look up from the mess of petals at your reflection, you looked like a mess.

Oh the curse of having the Hanahaki disease... You bitterly remember the day it was explained to you. A pesky flower grew inside of your body, slowly growing until it completely fills your chest and lungs. It was absolutely painful to deal with, no matter the flower you had growing in you, there were thorns. They poked at your organs and scraped against muscles.

Its cause? One-sided love.

There wasn't a medicial cure for this illness. There were only three options you could choose from. The easiest and less painful of the two was for the love to be returned.

The painful plan could be removed surgically. Though after it's remove, you will feel no emotions. You will become a blank slate... No love, no happiness, no sadness, nothing at all. That wasn't what you wanted.

The third option was to die from it. A slow and painful death, both physically painful and emotional painful. Dying, knowing that the person you love never returned your feelings. This seemed like the more likely of the three options...

Staring down at the mess in the sink, you let out a dry laugh. The flowers were called Crocosimia, also known as the Lucifer Montbretia. How morbid in the light of things. The flower that grows in side of you and the person you love share a common name:

Lucifer Morningstar.

You cleaned up some of the blood that stuck to your lips before taking care of the mess in the sink. Another day in the life of watching your love flirt relentlessly with Detective Decker. You couldn't help but feel resentment towards her. You didn't want to, she seemed like a nice woman, but she was who Lucifer loved, not you. It was literally killing you, so you somewhat felt your jealousy was reasonable in a since.

You left your apartment for work, feeling tired. You could tell it was going to be a long day.

--

You were organizing some paperwork at the LAPD, as Chloe and Lucifer were looking into the case they were solving. As much as it pains you not to be near him like you usually do, you felt it was best to start distancing yourself from him before the inevitable happened.

You walk to the forensic room to give Ella some forensic papers she should look at.

"Hey (Y/N)!" She greeted with her usually cheery tone. She gave you one of her signature hugs which you returned.

"Hey Ella. I got some forensic stuff you may want to look at." You held out the papers and she took them, thanking you as she shuffled through them.

You were about to leave but you suddenly felt like you couldn't breath. You wanted to get and hid away when bad coughing fits happened, but your body just refused to move. Your knees gave out as you started hacking and coughing into your hands.

"(Y/N)?" Ella rushed to your side, her hands in your shoulder and back. You couldn't respond during your fit, you just coughed up the petals and blood as tears started filling your eyes. You've never had a bad fit like this at work before, and never in front of

Your body stopped shaking as the coughing stopped. You let out a gasp of air and panted, looking down at the small petals and blood splatters in your hands.