Chapter One

I awake with a jolt and look around. Another nightmare. My father must have decided to let me sleep in a bit since it's my choosing day. I look out my window at the farms of Amity. I smile to myself slightly knowing soon I'll be free, and hopefully with my sister. I hop up from the bed and throw on the darkest Amity clothes I can find, which is red. I maneuver the dress between my legs so that it won't get caught when I go running today.

I fix my long blonde hair by combing it out and going to my kitchen to fix breakfast for my father. He wakes up half drunk, half sober. I sigh as I know what's going to come next.

"I said I wanted breakfast done by the time I woke up, Olivia! What is this? Now I have to wait!" He whisper-shouts into my face, we live in Amity so he can't exactly show his non-Amity-ness in front of the entire faction or else they'd make him eat that awful bread. Which might actually do me some good if he was constantly put on it.

His hand strikes my left cheek, and it stings for only a second. I know he won't do much to me today considering it's my choosing day and all, but it doesn't fix the soreness from the days before, and especially not all of the bruises.

"Don't make any stupid mistakes Olive," he growls, and I nod my head. I always secretly hated that nickname, mainly because he gave it to me, "Now cook my breakfast."

I make pancakes sausage and eggs. I then pour him a cup of straight black coffee, hopefully, to sober him up before we leave the house. He eats, and of course, there just isn't enough left for me once he's done. I sigh before putting on my shoes and we walk out the door, and everyone is either preparing to leave or is leaving.

He puts a seemingly comforting arm around me, and we walk to the choosing center, which isn't very far to walk. We go through the doors and hop on the elevator. It takes us to choosing room, and everyone is sat with their families. We take a seat with our faction, and I sit up straight, just waiting for it to be my turn.

About half an hour later, my name is called, and my father looks at me and gives me a look saying that I should, no, have to choose Amity, and then he slightly shakes his head, and he smiles proudly. Does he actually think I'm going to choose Amity? In his sick and twisted dreams.

On my aptitude test, my administrator told me I got Dauntless, but she had an odd tone. Was she lying? Why would she lie though, I mean, I always thought I would get Dauntless. Maybe it was just my imagination.

"Olivia Johnson," the smart Candor man, Jack Kang, calls, and I slowly stand up.

'They're watching you, stop being so nervous. You're acting like a Stiff, Olivia!' my inner voice screams at me, and I put on my confident outer layer as I bravely walk towards Mr. Kang who holds out a knife for me to take, which I do gladly.

I cut into the palm of my hand, and hang it over Amity, and I hear sighs of relief coming from my faction when I get a sudden mischievous look on my face and roll my eyes. My hand swishes over to the Dauntless bowl. My blood sizzles on the coals, and I tilt my head up a smile on my face, and I look over at my fathers stern face and smirk at him as I sit with my new faction. I'm free.

One of the guys hand me a bandage and offers me a kind smile. I smile back as I take the bandage gratefully. I look down at the blood and shake my head. Trying to ignore the pain in my palm. The adrenaline wears off soon and I can't help but think did I actually do that? Oh my gosh, I'm free...

Soon after, it's time to go and the Dauntless bustle out all wild and crazy like which what made me fall in love with them in the first place, the adrenaline kicks in once again and I run to the start of the group, a smile on my face and I realize they're jumping onto the train, I study them for a moment before following in their footsteps, and somehow manage to hop into the first cart, which is filled with the Dauntless-born.

"What are you doing here, Amity?" One of them snarl their nose up at me and I roll my eyes.

"Isn't it obvious?" I question, "I'm going to Dauntless initiation, duh!"

"Hm, you aren't as innocent as all of the other Amity, okay you're cool," he says, extending a hand, "I'm Zane,"

I begin to say my real name but I mentally shake my head, I'm not giving him my Amity name, and I already know what to say in replace of my old name.

"I'm Via," I grin, and shake his hand, and he nods his head, and moves out of the way and another girl stands in front of him.

"I'm Reagan, we're Dauntless-born, clearly. You're from Amity, hm," she smirks, and pushes my shoulder lightly, "Don't worry, the initiates take it pretty hard on Abnegation and Amity, we won't tell anyone,"

"Thanks, I guess?" I say with a confused smile, and we sit down and wait for the train to get to wherever Dauntless headquarters is, they both quickly stand up and I follow suit. We're not completely there yet, and I pull my hair into a tight ponytail before we all three grab each other's hands.

"Ready?" Reagan asks me, a light smile on her face as I nod my head excitedly.

"Yep!" I answer, popping the 'p' before  Zane begins our count down.

"Three!" He shouts, and Reagan goes next.

"Two!" They look ahead bravely, as do I.

"One!" I yell out and we run out of the train cart together and hit the gravel that scratches our clothing, and I clutch my head laughing.

"You okay there V?" Reagan asks, and I raise an eyebrow at her.

"You've earned yourself a nickname, be proud!" She grins, and I nod my head.

We stand up quickly and walk over to what I assume is the entrance to Dauntless. A guy with many piercings stand at the ledge and looks very intimidating. But also kind of interesting... He scans his eyes over the crowd, and his eyes land on mine first, and his head slightly tilts to the side. I don't look away because that would be a sign of submission, and I'm done with that. New faction, new attitude. I don't look away, and he doesn't either, until someone behind him, assumedly his helper, clears his throat. I notice him, I just... Can't place my finger on it, ah well.

"I'm Eric, a Dauntless leader. If you want to get into Dauntless, this is the one and only way in," he shouts above the slight wind, and tilts his head to the side, "So, who's going first?"

My hand shoots up excitedly, and I realize I'm the only one, so I shrug my shoulders and walk to the front, everyone either really nervous or really shocked.

"An Amity? Come on guys, this is pathetic," he says and I roll my eyes, and he seems to notice, "did you jsut roll your eyes at me, initiate?"

"Yep!" I answer, and smirk at him.

"Well if you're so brave, jump of that ledge," I shrug my shoulders, and turn back around so my face is towards the other initiates and my back is towards what may be my death.

"Bye!" I wave excitedly and his eyes widen with shock, I mean, I need to impress these people so they don't think I'm some kind of wimp, don't I?

I fall and I laugh as I feel as though I'm flying, like a bird of some sort, or a pteranodon. When I hit the net safely below me, I'm full out laughing. I'm losing my mind. A hand reaches out to grab me, and I roll over to the side and stand up.

"Na-" The females words are cut off short when she looks into my eyes.

"Raelynn?" I ask, a slight smile on my face, and she nods her head with a proud look on her face.

"You can change your name," she whispers, and I shrug my shoulders.

"I already did, it's Via now, did you change your name?" I questions and she nods her head.

"Yeah, it's Rae now," she smiles lightly, and I nod my head.

"Rae..." I whisper, liking the way it sounds, "it suits you, and it sounds like a Dauntless name too," 

"First jumper, Via!" She shouts, and the Dauntless all cheer and stomp their feet.

I'm free.

QUESTION: Roses or Daises?
ANSWER: Roses♥