Chapter Twenty

"Both of you are going to go over this one?" I question and they nod their heads simultaneously.

"Yep, he made me agree to not disagree with anything he does," Alex grumbled, and I nod my head.

"That's..." I give them a weird look, "Nice? I guess?"

"No, not nice," Alex muttered, and I let out a small laugh.

"Okay, you know the drill," Eric said and I nod my head yes, "so, what's your favorite food,"

"I really like chicken and dumplings," I answer, and I know what he's doing.

He tilts my head to the side a bit, and I feel the needle against my skin. I go rigid, clenching my eyes shut.

"If you could have any pet what would it be?" He continued, and Alex has a very confused look on his face.

"A chinchilla, they're just so cute!" I laughed softly, "And soft!"

The needle is inserted into my skin and I let out a small hiss.

"You're getting better," he whispered, and I nod my head before slipping into darkness.

I'm back in the Erudite headquarters and I suck in a tight breath, before letting it out shakily.

The needles.

This was from a childhood experience. I was about two years old, and yes I have that good of a memory.

I went to the doctor and I had to get shots for some reason, that I forgot. My Mother was still in Amity at this time, and let's just say she was the most caring person ever.

She asked the nurse, who was very rude by the way, to do all four of them at once. Long story short, she did them as slowly as she possibly could, torturing me. She even had another nurse come in to hold me down because I was crying, it was truly horrific.

I watch the woman with the needle as she prepares slowly for what is to come. I can hear Eric's voice in my head.

Focus on your breathing. Find something to look at.

I run my fingers over the hem of my Dauntless shirt, feeling the fabric, I look at the tiny details on their as well. Breathe in, then out.

Don't look at her, look away, don't focus on her. She takes blood, several tubes, I feel the pain in the bend of my elbow but I ignore it. She isn't real.

When I'm pulled from the sim, I stay where I am on the bed, feeling suddenly drained from the lack of blood. But it wasn't real, but it feels so real.

I finally raise up and meet the curious gaze of Eric, and then Alex's worried one.

"You're doing very well, L-" he paused briefly, I don't think Alex noticed but I did, "Via,"

"Oh, um, thanks?" I answer but it comes out like a question.

"Okay, you can go on," he nods towards the door and I nod my head, silently walking out of the room.

I hastily walk out, realizing it should be about time for supper. I soon fall in the steps of the other Dauntless, grabbing a muffin and a piece of chicken.

"Via, I need to see you in my office," I look over in surprise, cut off from the conversation I was previously in.

"Oh, okay," I glanced over at the table, they give me confused looks which I return, "I'll, um, see you guys tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay," Alex looks at me worriedly.

I quietly follow him, back as straight as a rod. I receive many curious glances and stares as we walk towards his office, once we're in there he stands at his desk, and he himself looks at me curiously.